Starting a SLAM today!

jbaldwin62

May 8, 2024
illinois
I'm a new pool owner. I will be attempting a SLAM today. Water very murky and algae showing. I've vacuumed and skimmed as much as I can go. I have my robot cleaning most of the time. I've been reading threads and articles, but could use some help.

Testing's:
FC - 0
PH - 7.0-7.2
TA - 110
CYA - 0
CH - 110

A couple of questions. I know I need to bring up CYA to 30. I will be putting in a sock before. How long do I wait before starting the SLAM process? Also, do I need to bring my CH up to 200 before slamming? I'll test after work to see where things stand before I start. Thanks all!

I'm a new pool owner. I will be attempting a SLAM today. Water very murky and algae showing. I've vacuumed and skimmed as much as I can go. I have my robot cleaning most of the time. I've been reading threads and articles, but could use some help.

Testing's:
FC - 0
PH - 7.0-7.2
TA - 110
CYA - 0
CH - 110

A couple of questions. I know I need to bring up CYA to 30. I will be putting in a sock before. How long do I wait before starting the SLAM process? Also, do I need to bring my CH up to 200 before slamming? I'll test after work to see where things stand before I start. Thanks all!
Start the SLAM immediately after the stabilizer starts soaking. Dont worry about any of the other stuff except chlorine of course.

Started the SLAM last night. Put in 5 gallons total.

Morning readings:
CYA - just under 30. Added a little more stabilizer
FC - 2

I added a gallon of liquid chlorine, but I'm worried of Ammonia because the FC didn't move up a ton when I checked the readings after I added the chlorine. I added another half gallon, but then I had to head to work. I'll retest when I can!

Welcome @jbaldwin62 ! You have found the right place.

Have you brushed the walls and pool bottom? I find that my initial opening goes much faster if I brush once I add chlorine.

Also, watch the pressure on your filter and make sure to do regular rinses of your cartridge once you get a significant pressure rise.

Started the SLAM last night. Put in 5 gallons total.

Morning readings:
CYA - just under 30. Added a little more stabilizer
FC - 2

I added a gallon of liquid chlorine, but I'm worried of Ammonia because the FC didn't move up a ton when I checked the readings after I added the chlorine. I added another half gallon, but then I had to head to work. I'll retest when I can!
If you download poolmath and log your test results, they can be shared with the forum. If you had ammonia, youde have zero chlorine or stabilizer.

I have been brushing the walls and bottoms, but I'll do that again today.

I've go the pool math app and will download those results now.

Another question, when I'm testing for FC, after the water turns pink and I add the brown solution (blanking on the R#) and swirl, should I wait a little bit to see if it turns back to pink? There have been a couple of times where I think I get a good reading, but then it turns pink after 10-15 seconds. Perhaps I'm not stirring the drop stick powder enough?

Thanks all.

Move along at the 1st clear. If left to sit they go pink again sometimes. That one doesn't count if you got sidetracked and haven't dumped the sample yet. :)

How often can I add chlorine to get up to level 10? Last night I was able to get to above 5, but I’ve added 2 gallons since I’ve gotten home from work and my FC is still at 1. Do I wait longer between chlorine drops before I test? I’ve been testing every 15 minutes to see if it gets higher.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just bought the kit on amazon. I bring it in my basement. It doesn’t make sense that I keep getting low FC when I keep dumping more chlorine. Unless my pool is really dirty still? Which it is. My robot keeps pulling nuts and leaves that I can’t see.
That pool is pretty dirty in the picture. Its gonna take a while. How cheap is it to replace the water? Scoop as much of the leaves out as possible with a net.

It was produced on 24 (2024) 116 (day 116). So it's pretty fresh and about a month old.

Holding CYA rules out Ammonia. SLAM on. You just have a battle of crud going on.

Reactions: jbaldwin62
Ok will do. I'm assuming I can dump more than 1 gallon at a time? Pool math is saying I only need 1 gallon for a level 10ppm FC. Is it okay if I drop 2 gallons and check it? I'm praying it's ready by Sunday for our girls bday party...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support