Starting a SLAM today!

Slam is 12 FC for 30 CYA. Going over doesn't help like people thinks it does, although a little over is fine when accidentally over shooting.

Reactions: jbaldwin62
I’m on day 4 of good FC numbers,(FC up to 12 and then drops to 7 or 8 overnight) but they always drop through the day and don’t hold over night. The water is also still not clear. So I continue SLAMing or could it be my circulation is bad? I’ve been cleaning my cartridge filter every other day.

I’m on day 4 of good FC numbers,(FC up to 12 and then drops to 7 or 8 overnight) but they always drop through the day and don’t hold over night. The water is also still not clear. So I continue SLAMing or could it be my circulation is bad? I’ve been cleaning my cartridge filter every other day.
If you are losing 5ppm overnight then something organic is still in the water being consumed by that chlorine.

As long as the pump is running and the water circulates there isn't anything more to do besides keeping the slam level up there as often as possible and brushing minimum twice daily. The one important thing to be sure of is that your CYA number is what you think it is otherwise you could be slamming with a lower FC. Has the wayer color changed any.

As of yesterday, my CYA level was just under 30. The pump has been running 24/7. We did go in the pool yesterday and the bottom was pretty clean although there are still acorns that I’m finding. I will brush more and keep running my robot. The water is looking cleaner and not as green. Still a little cloudy.

Reactions: newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How many gallons of chlorine should I except to go through? I'm already at 16-18.
Dunno how big your pool is, mine is a 25k gal, I go through 4-5 gal at a time adding for a slam, 2-3 times a day for a few days. You can add as much as you need to to get up to SLAM level. I normally aim for about 20 chlorine level, which 4-5 gal will do. Per the slam guide, youll be doing this multiple times a day. Its not uncommon for me to go through 20-30 gal of what I buy for a SLAM.

As a few have suggested, your pool doesnt look that big. maybe drain even partly, SLAM and then refill, . Itll be faster, maybe cheaper than that much chlorine.

maybe drain even partly, SLAM and then refill, . Itll be faster, maybe cheaper than that much chlorine.
There is no reason to drain if they have started the slam. Draining/replacing is a choice best made in advance of the SLAM. Draining/replacing water during the SLAM will not make it go appreciably faster.