Platinum Supporter
May 4, 2010
SW Georgia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
On my parents pool they have a Pentair VS pump that is programmed to run at predetermined times as programmed thru the pump software. I want to install a salt water generator and in my way of thinking it should be wired to the pump so that it shuts off and on with the pump. If it was wired to a timer you could possibly have the pump off (due to the on board programming) and the saltwater generator on. Syncing the timer with the pump programming just sounds like a recipe for disaster. Every power outage would require a re-sync. I have not seen anything online about attaching the SWG to the pump? Am I missing something?

Members here have constructed current sensing relays that would sense when the pump is running and close a relay to turn on the SWG.

A search should find a few threads on it.

Jason,

Your folk's VS pump should be wired to constant AC power.. So, if you wire it to the same power, the cell will have constant AC power even when the pump is off.. Cells that have power, when the pump is off, is not a good plan. If the flow switch fails, the cell can actually explode!!!

Does not happen often, but often enough to be reported by our members.

Thanks,

Jim R.