The Ghost in the Machine is Back......

I have a working theory. I frequently bring up the pool on my computer and just leave the Aqualink window open. Also on my phone I just click to another app and sometimes don't properly shut the app down. I don't really think it is the phone app but I am suspecting that maybe leaving the computer app open on might have something to do with it. So I am making sure to immediately shut the app down after I am done with it and exit out of that tab as well. This may not be it but I haven't had an issue for around 2 weeks since I stopped leaving the app open.

We'll see!

Seems my theory on it being an app left open is not it. The light turned itself on a couple times and yesterday the heater turned itself on. I hadn't had an issue with the heater in awhile. I used the heater yesterday to get the water to 92. Turned it all off when we were done but this morning the heater had turned itself back on. Fortunately when I am not using the heater I turn the gas off now. So it turns on but doesn't waste any gas. Just electric from the pump increasing to 3000.

But it makes me wonder since the heater turned on right after I used it. Almost makes me think an errant command came down from Jandy and turned it on. For those not aware, Aqualink interfaces with Jandy who interfaces with your equipment. They can fully control your equipment. You cannot control your equipment if your internet is down.

Spooky. Yeah that's a problem with the cloud. When something goes sideways, no way to look behind the curtain. Disabling iAquaLink WiFi to see if the problem goes away is a good idea.

Another thing to suspect is electrical noise sneaking into the controls. Possible sources:
  • Loose mains connection causing random arcing.
  • Loose low voltage wiring even if not arcing. Includes slightly corroded plugs.
  • RS-485 running close to electrical noise sources.
  • RS-485 not wired with twisted pair.
  • Failing pump motor.
  • Missing/bad grounds. Ground loop (multiple runs to ground for any bit of equipment esp. the panel). Wrongly wired neutrals can also cause this.
You get the idea: anything squirrely in the pad wiring. Screwdriver for tightening stuff and spray contact cleaner are your friends.

Last edited: