Flint, MI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Looking for any experiences with Spa Cover Lifters, manual or automatic, as a replacement for our existing one which met with an ice-encased death !

So, we had a 'cover lifter' installed about 2 years ago on the hot-tub (about 8x8 external size), and for the most part it's been fine. It's a generic model, fits under the 'back' corner of the spa, and then has a set of bars that go over the cover - you fold the cover, then use the bars as a pivot point to lift the cover over the back edge of the spa, and then they kinda hang. It makes lifting and re-installing the cover easy enough that the wife can do it on her own if needed, whereas the cover itself was 'heavy' and awkward to manipulate solo. Existing one looks like the one below (not quite 100%, but very close)

1705932632832.png

Worked great, until the cover was coated with 2" of solid Ice, and weighed about 400lb more than usual. As the cover slid over the back, it dropped, and bent one of the cheap hollow pipes that serve as 'bars'. It still works for now, but it's not going to last for much longer. We use the spa pretty much every day, so I'm willing to invest in a decent lifter this time around. I kinda like the 'under the spa' setup, so I don't have to drill into the spa itself or anything - the existing one had some other 'engineering' issues - like where the top bar fitted into the uprights, the join was essentially open facing upwards, so water would seep into the tubes, and then when you open the cover, rusty water pours out the bottom...

Not sure how it comes apart but maybe you could slip another piece of pipe over the weak part until you get a replacement?
EMT conduit isn’t terribly expensive.
I wish I could have one but my spa is round and it would stick way out & I would have to move my spa out of the corner more defeating the purpose of having a small round spa ☹️
There’s quite a few discussions about different ones/designs

maybe you could slip another piece of pipe over the weak part until you get a replacement?
Unfortunately, it seems to have failed at the weld/brace point, so there is no easy way to put anything over it - might be simpler to buy the same thing and 'replace' the bent arm I guess.

The 'good' side looks like this :

1705943523703.png

The other, like this and is bent at about 35 degrees (hard to photograph as it's at the back corner :rolleyes: ) :

1705943556588.png

I know you said you want an "under the spa type lifter" but I cannot say enough good about the Covermate Vanish XL I have

At first I was leery about both attaching it to the tub as well as permanently attaching it to the cover. But after about 18 months of having it, it works great.

One hand operation, looks good on the tub, and drops the cover out of view (mostly) when it is open

I know you said you want an "under the spa type lifter" but I cannot say enough good about the Covermate Vanish XL I have

At first I was leery about both attaching it to the tub as well as permanently attaching it to the cover. But after about 18 months of having it, it works great.

One hand operation, looks good on the tub, and drops the cover out of view (mostly) when it is open

Interesting - although I worry about the same ice-laden cover ripping that right off the spa ;) Of course, thats more a user-issue than an engineering issue.

Interesting - although I worry about the same ice-laden cover ripping that right off the spa ;) Of course, thats more a user-issue than an engineering issue.

It is held to the tub with a bazillion screws. Really, it is a lot of screws.

The gluing of the arms to the cover is what really concerned me, but whatever glue they use is awesome. I have had nothing even start to come loose.

They also sell just the ends of the arms where they glue to the cover. So if you have to change your cover, you don't have to buy a whole new lift. You just get the replacement arm ends that glue on.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I lucked out and saw an identical lifter on a local buy-nothing page (they were giving away the hottub, but were going to trash the lifter because it was bent...lol). Plan is to swap out my bent arm for the good arm and hopefully we'll be all set for a while.
It is held to the tub with a bazillion screws. Really, it is a lot of screws.

If my 'franken-lifter' doesn't work out, I'll take a good look at the Covermate :)

Whoo hoo ! Can’t beat free 🤑
I hope it works out for you!
Worked perfectly. I replaced the one arm, replaced all the tiny rusting-out self-tappers with drilled through stainless nuts and bolts, caulked and taped the seams and then sprayed flex-seal over the screws and joints.

For a few bucks in screws and sealant, hoping it goes for another couple years !!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.