Pool Light niche is cockeyed!

InvaderZim

Bronze Supporter
Apr 13, 2008
Austin, TX
My pool, built in 2006, has 4 Jandy color-changing 120V halogen lights: two big ones and two little ones (one in the spa). We didn't notice this until a few years ago, but the two large lights are in niches that were installed cockeyed when the pool was built, so the screw receivers are at something like 1:30 and 7:30 on the clock -- rotated clockwise instead of up-and-down.

Now, if someone brushes against or bumps the light (or even gives it a dirty look), the light pops out of the bottom partial tab. I have been able to get them back in but it won't be long before they're loose again. I tried bending the tabs and that helps for a while but then it pops out again.

I'd like to try to fix this rather than temporarily slipping them back into place, which is difficult. In looking through the forum, I found two solutions:

CMP, Pool Light Repair Wedge | 25549-600-000

CMP, Pool Light Adapter Ring | 25549-500-000

It seems like the ring would solve the problem by allowing me to properly orient the screw receivers. Would the wedge also solve the "popping out" problem ? Which would be preferred?

(I do plan on replacing these lights with LED lights at some point, but I expect they'll have the same problem. )

Any advice would be most welcome.

Do you have a plastic niche or a metal one. Do you know the brand?
I don't know the brand for sure -- the skimmers are Pentair, so this might be as well. The screw holders are metal and I believe the entire niche is but I'm not positive. It's a salt-water pool and I never saw any signs of rust. The lights are seated right now, but I'll take a more careful look the next time they pop out. I figured all the designs were the same. These are the 2006-era Jandy color-changing lights -- the larger size -- if that helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.