Heater for the pool doesn't come on due to low flow

pooluser123

Apr 3, 2022
California
Just had our pool redone. We have a variable intelliflo pump controlled via i-aqualink.

When I used the hot tub, everything works fine but, the pump goes up to 3450 rpms and the heater comes on.

Now, when I try to use the heater for the pool, the heater does not come on and the message on it says "check flow".

My understanding it has to do with the rpms on the pump. I changed them in the settings to 2,800 and even though the status shows the pump is working faster, it's not really putting out 2,800 rpms. I then went ahead and just set them to 3,450, and the same thing, the pump does not go to the target rpms even though it shows in the app that it is. I can hear it. Also, when the filter is just starting, I can hear the pump working much faster than the supposedly 2,800 rpms that I set for the heater mode. The priming speed is 2,500 rpms.

Any ideas? I am getting someone out to take a look next week but was hoping to get this resolved earlier.

Thank you!

Welcome to TFP.

What model VS pump and heater do you have?

Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment. Knowing what you have helps us give specific advice without repeating the same questions.

My understanding it has to do with the rpms on the pump. I changed them in the settings to 2,800 and even though the status shows the pump is working faster, it's not really putting out 2,800 rpms. I then went ahead and just set them to 3,450, and the same thing, the pump does not go to the target rpms even though it shows in the app that it is. I can hear it.

What does the pump display show when you think it is not putting out the RPMs?

You may need to disconnect the RS-485 cable from the pump so that youc an control the pump from its control panel. Then you can see on its display what the RPM and flow is and determine if the problem is with the pump or the Aqualink control.

Are you sure you do not have a bypass valve for your heater set wrong? A heater should not need that much RPM or flow.

Pics of your equipment pad and valves could be helpful.

What does the pump display show when you think it is not putting out the RPMs?

You may need to disconnect the RS-485 cable from the pump so that youc an control the pump from its control panel. Then you can see on its display what the RPM and flow is and determine if the problem is with the pump or the Aqualink control.

Are you sure you do not have a bypass valve for your heater set wrong? A heater should not need that much RPM or flow.

Pics of your equipment pad and valves could be helpful.
Thank you for the reply. I decided to wait for a technician to take a look at this. The pad on the pump is not active, I messed with the settings on the iAquaLink with no success. Let me see what the guys says. I will update the thread with the findings.

Reactions: Newdude
Quick update. The technician came by. He thinks the issue is due to the dirty filter. He tried running the system without the cartridges and the heater came on. We just recently had the pool remodeled so they think there is dust from the gunite. The cartridges do look clean but I’m having them replaced. Hopefully that was it. Let’s see.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Replaced cartridges, still the same issue. The heater works intermittently coming back with the same message. It looks like the issue is either with a pressure sensor in the heater or there is not enough flow and there is an obstruction somewhere. A technician should be coming by again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.