Better to run VSP 24/7 or install a timer?

EndlessSummerAZ

May 18, 2023
Phoenix
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
Have an RJ45+ on the way. Currently have a VS950 pump. I’m debating on installing a timer vs just running the pump 24/7. Due to the pvc pipe length limitation, I am going to have to install the flow switch after the cell so I can include the cell length as straight pipe per the owners manual on the RJ. I currently run 830AM to 5PM around 1300rpm. I do tend to get an air pocket in the pump basket at lower speeds that develops over a day and is about an inch deep. I haven’t found any leaks, o-rings are lubed, just assuming because I’m oversized for my pool? Anyways, I think I am leaning towards running 24/7 and I’d like to go as low as possible. Would the air pocket be a concern? I don’t want to have to run my pump at higher speeds and increase my electric bill. Should I just run a timer to avoid this issue and run at higher speeds for a shorter time?

Last edited:
I'm not sure how the timer on your pump works, but can't you just ramp up pump speed for a couple minutes a couple times a day to clear the air bubbles in the pump basket?

I do this now about twice a day for 30 minutes but eventually the air comes back. I’m worried the air pocket will become more of an issue with a 24/7 runtime and I’ll just need to keep it higher all the time defeating the purpose of a lower speed 24/7.

I would be concerned if the bubbles drop down below an inch or so. I would explore the possibility of a suction side leak. You may want to do some 24/7 testing and see what happens to the water level. Sorry, that's all I got for you.

End,

I am not sure I fully understand... :scratch:

In my mind it does not make sense for the pump to be running and the SWCG not making chlorine...

My SWCG's flow switch closed about 1100 RPM, so I run at 1200 RPM, most the time. Running 24/7 costs me less than $20 bucks a month.

I assume the timer you are talking about is for the salt cell.. If you run 24/7 your don't really need the timer.

There is just about no point in running at a speed that won't turn on the cell.. Why would you want to do that??

If you want to run less than 24/7, then the timer to control the SWCG makes sense to me..

Thanks,

Jim R.

End,

Does the air under the pump lid keep getting bigger and bigger?? If so, you have a suction side air leak, you should fix.

Have air under the pump lid at low RPMs is normal, but it should not continually increase.

Thanks,

Jim R.

End,

I am not sure I fully understand... :scratch:

In my mind it does not make sense for the pump to be running and the SWCG not making chlorine...

My SWCG's flow switch closed about 1100 RPM, so I run at 1200 RPM, most the time. Running 24/7 costs me less than $20 bucks a month.

I assume the timer you are talking about is for the salt cell.. If you run 24/7 your don't really need the timer.

There is just about no point in running at a speed that won't turn on the cell.. Why would you want to do that??

If you want to run less than 24/7, then the timer to control the SWCG makes sense to me..

Thanks,

Jim R.
I think in my Monday brain I was thinking I could run the cell x amount of hours to generate chlorine at the higher speed it needs especially during the summer. Then, I could dial the pump speed down to save on electricity costs when I don’t need chlorine generated. I guess with the 5% increments on the RJ I could fine tune it to generate all day. Just wanted to extended cell life as long as possible in this heat.

You're either using cell life, or adding the equivalent FC with liquid chlorine. There's no 'saving the cell'. 100% for 12 hours or 50% for 24 hours is the same 12 hours of cell life.

RPMs don't change cell production so long as the min flow is adequate.

End,

I do not see a heater in your signature.. Without a heater, you should not have to run very fast to close the flow switch.

If you don't already have your new salt cell, it would make sense to install it and see what it takes to turn it on.. Then you can decide if you want the cell to run 24/7 or not.

In theory, running 24/7 does not use up any more of the cell than running 12 hours a day.. In both cases the cell still needs to generate the amount of FC the pool will use each day.

Just to be clear.. The cell's lifespan hours are actually chlorine production hours, not the hours that the pump runs.. If you run the cell at 100% for one hour, that is exactly the same as running 10% for 10 hours. You have used up just one hour of its life.

Cells are either on or off, you can't adjust their output.. When you set the cell at 50%, that just means the cell will produce chlorine 50% of the time it is on..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: newdude