Adding a pool heater bypass?

From my understanding, every 5-7 years I can expect to replace the “cell” in an SWG.

I’ll likely go with a Pentair IC60 SWCG..would I be able to replace the cell on its own or is it just one of those things where we should expect to replace the entire SWCG ?

Thank you,

Donnie

On thank you sir.

I found one for sale..
Listing states “
Cell is dead (green light blinking, no chlorine generation). Cell says it has 40% life left, but this listing should be considered as parts only.”

Would it be worth a shot for $100 to buy this one used and get a new cell or just buy a new one and be done with it?

No. Cell light blinking means the cell is dead.
Get a new one.
If you don’t have automation, check Apex brand cell. Should be cheaper.

I currently have the T handle style below and am about to put in a heater bypass, check valve and SWCG…

Am I able to plumb in one of these other style valves like the one below?

Attachments

• IMG_8176.png
    IMG_8176.png
    317.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8177.jpeg
    IMG_8177.jpeg
    360.2 KB · Views: 9
I’m adding an IC60 salt generator, heater bypass and a check valve.

Considering adding the intelliPH controller and if I’m not mistaken..it will require a newer controller as I just have the Pentair VSF pump and an intellicenter 4 station controller that I don’t believe will control the SWCG or PH controller.

I’d prefer to stick with Pentair and if I have to do all of this, I’d like it to be able to connect to WiFi so I can monitor and control while we are away.

Any suggestions as to a good controller to swap over if I need make this swap over.

Thank you,

Donnie

Yes, if you get the MPV compatible with your filter to replace the slider valve.

Check the Installation Manual for your filter. It should list compatible valves.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’m adding an IC60 salt generator, heater bypass and a check valve.

Considering adding the intelliPH controller and if I’m not mistaken..it will require a newer controller as I just have the Pentair VSF pump and an intellicenter 4 station controller that I don’t believe will control the SWCG or PH controller.

I’d prefer to stick with Pentair and if I have to do all of this, I’d like it to be able to connect to WiFi so I can monitor and control while we are away.

Any suggestions as to a good controller to swap over if I need make this swap over.

Thank you,

Donnie
How many relays are you using in the existing 4 relay controller? Usually there's a spare and you should be able to use that for the swg. Photo's would be helpful.

Thanks.

Chris

Your picture appears to be a Pentair FNS plus 60 de filter. If that is the case, the Pentair 261152 2 inch threaded multiport valve would be compatible with that filter.

Reactions: uraceulose
Donnie,

Threads you have going about your equipment changes are....

It is helpful for all of us if you kept one thread active with your various equipment changes. Change the subject line as necessary. Much of your equipment is interrelated and having the big picture of what you are doing helps with the right recommendations. As well as not repeatedly asking you the same questions.

it will require a newer controller as I just have the Pentair VSF pump and an intellicenter 4 station controller that I don’t believe will control the SWCG or PH controller.

Donnie, I don't think you have an IntelliCenter. Show us pictures of what you have.

What model number VSF pump?

Last edited:
Sorry about the multiple threads. Will edit and change from here forward.

I was looking at the intelliconnect product last night but I don’t know if it’ll have everything Ill need.

Need main pump, booster pump, heater, SWCG, PH dosing pump and hoping to control lights.

Attachments

• IMG_8186.jpeg
    IMG_8186.jpeg
    325.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8187.jpeg
    IMG_8187.jpeg
    288.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8185.jpeg
    IMG_8185.jpeg
    415.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8189.png
    IMG_8189.png
    536.9 KB · Views: 4
I was looking at the intelliconnect product last night but I don’t know if it’ll have everything Ill need.

Need main pump, booster pump, heater, SWCG, PH dosing pump and hoping to control lights.
IntelliConnect will not work for you.

You need 3 relays for the SWG, booster pump, and lights. The IntelliConnect only has two relays.

And the Intelliconnect will not work with pH dosing equipment.

For Pentair you need the IntelliCenter Lite.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support