Prosper, TX (DFW)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I did my normal spring checking of the SWG for any build-up. I was happy that there was none, and I screwed it back together by hand tightening.

When I fired up the pump it looks like the union sprung a leak. It looks like it happened on a seam on the union. I assume I can just order another union and hopefully that can screw back on. Anyone know?

1646516764470.jpeg

How much pipe is to the right ? Enough to add a coupler ? If so you cut the PVC, slide the broken nut off, slide the new nut on and glue a coupler where you cut (also have to shorten the pipe where you cut to accommodate the gap inside the coupler)

Or just cut the pipe, install a coupler, add a short piece of PVC and the both pieces of the new union.

Here is a little bit wider shot. It is on the union as the water exits the SWG. I assume I cannot just unscrew the broken union and screw another back on?

1646517578487.jpeg

Correct. The nut is free once off the swg but stuck on the pipe side. That other black piece is like a T that stops the nut from coming off. So cut the pipe at the arrow, and another sliver as wide as the gap in a coupler. Then it's up to you if you want to replace the whole part to the left, or just use the new nut on the old union. If you are ever going to do something the 'lazy way',, there is no long term harm here.

Reactions: JJ_Tex
Those are proprietary Pentair unions. So you must order them. They are not interchangeable with unions available at big box stores.

Reactions: JJ_Tex
Also, make sure the coupler isnt DWV (drain waste vent). They arent pressure rated and the collars are shorter accordingly, not needing the extra grip.

They make combo packs of primer and glue and have them everyehere.

You will need both above plus the new union whichever way you decide to go. It never hurts to start all new, but it would kinda suck to buy a 10 ft pipe for 6-8 inches.

I don't have that brand, however there is a gasket slot in the swg openings, so when you tighten the union its not the union threads that create the water seal but rather the compression of the gasket. Perhaps your o-ring is damaged? Or try some teflon plumber tape on the union threads?

The replacement unions will come with two new orings, ask me how I know. I had to make the same repair, which wasn't too hard. I would order the new parts from Amazon. In the meantime, you can probably fix that leak with JB weld 5 minute epoxy, to get you a few extra days while you wait for parts. Going down to your local Pool Store is likely to cost you 4 times as much for the parts.

Reactions: newdude
Perhaps your o-ring is damaged? Or try some teflon plumber tape on the union threads?
The whole black nubbed part is the female nut. The SWG is the male part with threads. The nut itself is cracked right down the middle and can only come off by cutting the pipe.

When the O-ring is over or under tightened or pinched, water shoots out from between the nut and the fixed/glued other black piece, or at the end of the connection towarfs the SWG.

I can see why you thought as you did, especially probably never having played with one of these. (y)

But Pool Lurker brings up a GREAT point JJ. Don't wrench the new O-ring. Lube it with Jacks magic lube and hand tighten the nut. If you have some drips, hit it 1/8 of a turn more.

I did my unions with a strap wrench because i already had it. 5 years later when i broke down and bought a $20 pair of pliers, i KICKED nyself for being so cheap. They are comical and cartoonishly large, but became my go-to threat to anything stubborn that didn't want to come apart. 'You gonna make me go get the Tom and Jerry pliers ???? *item comes apart* yeah. THOUGHT so !!!'

There must be quite a bit of back pressure on your return line for that much spray to come out from such a tiny crack that theoretically is after a rubber O ring! What is restricting the flow in your return line?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks all. I ordered the Pentair parts and they should get here on Tuesday. With that said, I messed around with it more today and was about to put superglue in the crack but I took everything apart, cleaned the o-rings, and used magic lube and no more leaks.

I'm certainly not convinced that is a long-term fix, but it seems to still be holding and we even enjoyed the spa for the evening without a single drop on the equipment pad.

Also, make sure the coupler isnt DWV (drain waste vent). They arent pressure rated and the collars are shorter accordingly, not needing the extra grip.

They make combo packs of primer and glue and have them everyehere.

You will need both above plus the new union whichever way you decide to go. It never hurts to start all new, but it would kinda suck to buy a 10 ft pipe for 6-8 inches.
Big box stores sell common pvc pipe in pre-cut 2 foot pieces.

How much did you guys freeze this year by you ? Its a 9 cent pirce of plastic, they do break or crack. But it sure look like alot of leaks we saw last year.

Weird too that the good pic is smooth as can be with no seam and the broken pic clearly has a seam. To me it looks like it cracked from the inside which then exposed the seam on the outside. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
How much did you guys freeze this year by you ? Its a 9 cent pice of plastic, they break or crack. But it sure look like alot of leaks we saw last year.

Weird too that the good pic is smooth as can be with no seam and the broken pic clearly has a seam. To me it looks like it cracked from the inside which then exposed the seam on the outside. 🤷‍♂️
Yeah, it certainly was puzzling. This winter was normal, with a decent number of freezing days and one or two down in the teens.... but nothing prolonged or causing power outages.
It could still be leftover damage from last year, which has a week straight of the coldest temps I have ever seen. I had to shut down and winterize in the middle of that, so I would not be shocked if it weakened the plastic some...same with it getting baked by the afternoon sun in the summer.

It could still be leftover damage from last year..........so I would not be shocked if it weakened the plastic some...same with it getting baked by the afternoon sun in the summer.
I'm no plastic-ologist. Not by a longshot. But i'm going with this until proven otherwise.

Big box stores sell common pvc pipe in pre-cut 2 foot piece
JJ, find 3 of the cheapest fittings they have. I just looked and the first 2 incher that came up was $1.33. That way, the real splice will be your 4th time, and it only takes 2 to be a PVC glue master.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.