Pool Build - Baltimore

Thank you very much. We have about 5 or 6 details of varying size to get completed for stage 1 to be complete.

Stage 2 - Landscaping this fall
Stage 3 - Shed/changing room next year?
Stage 4 - Pavilion the year after?

I'll be tackling those myself.

How in the world did you find someone who knows this painting technique? I've asked a few guys around her and no one knows. Also, do you have a pic at night? Any reason why you chose 2 lights instead of just one? Our PB is saying that at 40 X 20, one LED will be enough (we are doing 4-8 ft). Also--are you happy with the 3 1/2 feet shallow or wish you would have done 4'?

amytude said:
How in the world did you find someone who knows this painting technique? I've asked a few guys around her and no one knows.
They are a Stonemakers dealer and I found them on the http://www.stonemakers.net website. When I searched on there on the "find a dealer" option last year, they showed a list of companies. Now, no matter what region you choose, it says to call one of two guys. No problem, just not as easy and they might choose who to tell you about. Any Stonemakers dealer will know how to do this because it is part of the training to become a Stonemakers dealer. If you don't want Stonemakers, it could very well be tough to find. I've only seen this look with a Stonemakers installation.
Also, do you have a pic at night? Any reason why you chose 2 lights instead of just one? Our PB is saying that at 40 X 20, one LED will be enough (we are doing 4-8 ft). Also--are you happy with the 3 1/2 feet shallow or wish you would have done 4'?
I'll work on getting a good night pic one of these evenings. But two is definitely good. I would not have been pleased with just one. Our shallow end is 3, but then yes, it quickly goes to 3 1/2 by the time you can really stand. After they shot the shell, I was thinking that it might be a little too shallow but now i like it this depth. I can stand at the end of the pool and the water is not above my bathing suit, which is kind of nice if you are not in the getting all wet mood (or just kind of a wimp when it comes to water temps).

Love your thread! Such a beautiful work and attention to detail.
I have one question. How long did it take for the pH levels to drop and how much muriatic acid you ended up using up after the initial water fill?
It's been 5 days for me now and the pH levels are still off the charts, been luring 1/2 gallon of acid each day...

Sent from my iPad using Tapawhat?

Thanks Azmp1! Somewhere between days 2 and 4 after the equipment was turned on and acid was added is when the pH went from below 6.8 to off the chart high. I missed testing on day 3. I think the PB added 7 gallons of MA. (From my trusty Pool Chemistry notebook.)

I just re-read your question. Our PB did a wet acid startup. Looks like you didn't have lots of acid acid added to the fill water. If your pH is still high, I'd add MA 12.45% by the 1/2 gallon and test again in a few hours with filtration. It mixes quickly so you can make the required changes without days passing. To give yourself piece of mind on your pH testing, try your tap water (potentially) or better yet our acid rain (which you are sick of seeing - it'll give you something to do with it besides curse it) and you should at least see that the test can return an acid level which is low. Your city water is probably pretty neutral. Our well water is very acidic.

My maintenance amount of MA 12.45% is something like 1 qt every other day but between the acid rain and my well water being added and the CYA and sodium hydrocarbonate to increase TA that I'm adding, there are many days that other things are affecting pH besides just the plaster and my MA additions.

Just remember that with no CYA, FC gets completely zapped by sunlight. It can go from shock to 0 in a sunny day. I know. I'm just adding my second 7 lbs of CYA now to raise it from maybe 40 to about 80 since we are salt (as of one week ago - 30 days after water was added).

I have a few updates to take pictures of soon. Hopefully a final inspection one of these days too.

Thank you for the answer and the tips. The pH finally down to 7.2 yesterday, all together took 4 gallons of acid. I know with the plaster curing the pH will be rising all season, but at least with it now being down to the manageable levels it will be easy to figure out how acid at add with acid demand test. Hopefully now down to adding quarts not gallons :). Good idea on testing the rainwater, I got the buckets full of it sitting in the back yards from the downpours we had yesterday and day before, as for my gap water, I'm not on the well, it's pretty mild on everything. Btw, how long did you wait to add the stabilizer after the initial fill? My builder is telling me, not add to add for at least a month.

I added CYA after about two weeks to bring it up to 40. Then I just got more and am bringing it up to 80. Not sure if it was all as you should do it but with FC lasting not at all without any, I didn't see a good alternative.

Working on getting the salt cell % somewhat dialed in. Not so right now. But I'm changing CYA, pump runtime, pump speed and cover being open/closed so its a moving target. Our two speed pump is now wired for two speeds! ...so that's good. Water temp is 87.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A few pics of the bluestone covering the autocover which was installed last week. It is fairly different in color from the coping on the other three sides of the pool, but it matches the decking paint color very well so it just blends right in and looks almost like the decking goes right up to the cover. Stones are hot as can be in that hot color. Also very pleased with the limited flexing in the stainless steel brackets holding them up. Diving board was installed in wrong color and size but that kind of issue is easy to remedy. It will be gray and 8' instead of white and 6'.
[attachment=1:24dacjfk]IMG_7767 - TFP.jpg[/attachment:24dacjfk]

[attachment=0:24dacjfk]IMG_7769 - TFP.jpg[/attachment:24dacjfk]

Attachments

• IMG_7767 - TFP.jpg
    IMG_7767 - TFP.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 1,894
  • IMG_7769 - TFP.jpg
    IMG_7769 - TFP.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,874
And here are a few of the final pool and immediate hardscape. Now the rest is on me. We are enjoying it immensely and send our encouragement out to those who are in the process.

[attachment=1:1araz4cp]IMG_7770_mod - TFP.jpg[/attachment:1araz4cp]

[attachment=0:1araz4cp]IMG_7773 - TFP.jpg[/attachment:1araz4cp]

Attachments

• IMG_7770_mod - TFP.jpg
    IMG_7770_mod - TFP.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 1,881
  • IMG_7773 - TFP.jpg
    IMG_7773 - TFP.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 1,886
Shall we say, mucho dolares. At the high end of all autocovers you see here. But with any pool project, the evaluation was, in the end, a comparison of the various builders' total price versus the total benefits.

Well, regardless of the cost, the security, and ability to keep debris out of the pool and less water evaporation pays dividends therefore eternally lowering the cost of the cover.
Thanks for this thread! Very helpful to a prospective new pool owner.

Hi bmoreswim, what PB did you end up using? We're in Baltimore City, and are just starting to get quotes together to see how feasible it really is. We're looking to do a rectangle (historic property, it just would fit a lot better), but undecided on material yet.

Thanks,
Elsa

We used Vista Pro Landscape & Design out of Davidsonville near Annapolis. We were pleased with them. Few builds go without a hitch and ours was no exception. However, they were always reasonable in resolving issues and pleasant to deal with. Good luck with your project should you proceed.

I saw you commented elsewhere regarding a potential structure to cover the pool. My main thought on that, and I think it was mentioned on that thread as well, is that you will likely want a heater and plan on using it, without the sun to heat it for you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.