planning a renovation

Nov 14, 2015
Chicagoland, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm just beginning to wrap my head around what direction to go with our pool renovation.

Our pool was built with all the bells and whistles and automation, but we have been using it in basic/manual mode since we bought the place due to lots of damage and missing equipment. We plan to DIY this pluming renovation. We plan to remove the slide automation (it's all broken), the UV cleaner, the magic frog or whatever that thing is called, the tab chlorinator. Looking to add maybe a liquid chlorine dispenser to keep the pool maintained when we're gone for weekends or weeks. We'll be removing the never-worked heater, and the plumbing that goes over to the heater, but will leave open the option to eventually add a heater back down the road.

Planning to keep the Jandy Filter housing, unless there's some reason we should replace it? it's 17 years old.

Need to replace the filter pump (currently 1 HP), the Spa/Jet pump (2 HP), and if we ever get the cleaning system up and running, the cleaning system pump, but honestly, we're looking to maybe just get a robot vacuum as the inflow cleaning system would pretty much need a complete overhaul.

We need to do aboveground equipment pad/plumbing refresh, as we have some leaks.

My question, guess, comes down to - should we plan to replace the control board now, or can we effectively plan this renovation in phases, with the control board coming in another year or two?

We have an older Jandy Aqualink RS, with an older firmware that will not work with variable speed pumps. My spouse thinks we can find single or two speed pumps that will work with the current control board, but my reading is that we cannot get single or dual speed pumps any more, which would require a control board update.

I feel like we should design with a new control board in mind, but we'd still be stuck with single or two speed pumps instead of more energy efficient variable speed.

I think I'm just feeling overwhelmed, and concerned we're going to end up duplicating work, or needing to re-buy equipment if we try to do the control board after the plumbing.

help? What questions do I need to be asking that I don't know to ask?

VS pumps are the future. Single speed and dual speed pumps will get increasingly scarce.

Short term your spouses plan can work.

Long term a modern control system and VS pump are in your future.

Jandy is not DIY friendly. Now would be the time to decide if you want to stay in the Jandy ecosystem or switch to Pentair equipment which is more available to DIY.