Our 1st pool! Backyard transformation and upcoming Intex 9x18 AGP install.

When filling out the Pool Math pool setup if set the sanitizer to bleach now, can I change it to SWG when it gets warm enough? Or set it to SWG and it takes the water temp into consideration?
I've seen some of the videos of people boxing in and causing issues. We have a little drop off from our frame that will be just beyond the 15x15 pad. Do the legs move beyond the pads during filling?

The legs can certainly move beyond the pads. When filling my pool, I have to consistently walk around and shift the legs back to the center. Try as you might to get each leg perfectly centered is near impossible. I actually need to excavate a little more, first year with my stones, the legs over shot center and sat at the very edge of the stones and became uneven. I left it, blamed it on frost heave, my pool was 1" unlevel for the season. I thought about boxing in my pool but it's oval and I didn't want to risk having a box too small which would be a very big problem when the pool is at 70%+ filled because the legs won't have the ability to shift when the liner starts to fill out. It would be too top heavy.

When filling out the Pool Math pool setup if set the sanitizer to bleach now, can I change it to SWG when it gets warm enough?
Yes-
Or set it to SWG and it takes the water temp into consideration?
No- it doesn’t do that anyway.
The temp is there for calculating csi and for your reference- Nothing more.
Which chlorination method you choose in the settings determines your fc targets - based on the
FC/CYA Levels.
You want liquid chlorine levels while you’re manually dosing as they are slightly different than swcg ones.

Reactions: DigitalGuru
Long day. Pool is still filling on a timer. Hope to have it about auto shut off around 80% full. I think it took about 2 hours to fill about 20% or so. I've got the filter pump attached and the valves closed, so I should be good to finish filling tomorrow morning and start getting it circulating. Plan on starting with CYA, FC, then pH. When should I start dissolving the salt?

Long day. Pool is still filling on a timer. Hope to have it about auto shut off around 80% full. I think it took about 2 hours to fill about 20% or so. I've got the filter pump attached and the valves closed, so I should be good to finish filling tomorrow morning and start getting it circulating. Plan on starting with CYA, FC, then pH. When should I start dissolving the salt?
Whenever you like!
Go easy with it, as you don’t want to overshoot or you’ll be draining some water. Add 3/4 of what poolmath calls for then let it circulate for at least 24 hrs & test. Then add what you lack. Circulate some more & test in another 24hrs.
Those intex units are finicky & have a small window of salinity that makes them happy. Around 2900ppm if I recall.

Reactions: DigitalGuru
Do you have kids? If so let them enjoy "Diamond Day"! Throw them in the pool then throw the salt in. Encourage them to open their eyes under water to watch the "diamonds" as they float down. As they try to catch them and splash around they will help you mix it all in.
Great idea, but no kids of our own. Plenty of neighborhood kids, but 48f might be a little cold for them! If I wait for it to get warmer, I might enjoy diamond day!

Reactions: Newdude
Well with no kids I guess you have do it the boring way-brushing the pool.

BURRRRRRRRR yeah NO diamond day at that temp!!! With it being that cold your SWG might not work as some of them don't like cold water. Just something to know if it gives you an error about it.

I wasn't going to start the SWG until it got closer to 60f, but was curious if I should install it now and just not turn it on? Any reason not to install it?
Thanks to all who have helped me along the way. It's been very helpful and appreciated!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
First test / additions! Pretty nice app and the TF test kit worked out easily. I do wish the salt instructions were laminated as well.

==========================================
Intex 9'x18' Ultra XTR
------------------------------------------
Build Type: Vinyl
Volume: 4545 gallons
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 0.5 (59 minutes ago)
CC: 0.0 (59 minutes ago)
pH: 7.1 (59 minutes ago)
TA: 60 (59 minutes ago)
CYA: 30 (59 minutes ago)
SALT: 200 (59 minutes ago)
TEMPERATURE: 59° (59 minutes ago)
==========================================
Chemical Addition 04-14-2024 @ 05:11 PM
+ 20 FluidOunces of Bleach

Test Results 04-14-2024 @ 04:32 PM
Free Chlorine: 0.5
Combined Chlorine: 0.0
pH: 7.1
Total Alkalinity: 60
CYA: 30
Salt: 200
Temperature: 59°F

Chemical Addition 04-14-2024 @ 12:00 PM
+ 16 Ounces of DryStabilizer

Maintenance 04-14-2024 @ 10:30 AM
Vacuumed, Cleaned Filter, Backwashed, Brushed
Pressure: 5

Reactions: Newdude
Fwiw I recall my intex units running when the water temp was mid 50’s - ymmv.
Good to know! We're coming up to 60, and tomorrow is supposed to be warm too. I just added 80# of Morton's Professional Choice pool salt, so it should be mixed by the EOD. Anyone know what percentage purity that Morton's is? Intex suggests 99.8 or better. I couldn't find anything at Ace hardware or home Depot that stated it's purity percentage.

Reactions: Mdragger88
. I couldn't find anything at Ace hardware or home Depot that stated it's purity percentage.
I noticed that too buying water softener salt at HD. None of the 4 styles available listed the %s. The best I had to go on was the 'additive free' badge for the Diamond crystals. Maybe they don't want to claim a % anymore.

Well, here's where we ended the weekend. All products that we've bought since last September are finally unpacked and out of our garage! The walls did bow in pretty far, but once it got within a couple inches of full, it straightened right out. Everything is pretty level, one corner might be a 1/2" tall. Slight adjustments might be warranted next year, but if it's stays like this, I think we'll be good for the season. I used a salt test strip before closing up and it showed just shy of 3000ppm. The SWG might be getting turned on tomorrow!

Attachments

• PXL_20240414_230824302.RAW-01.COVER.jpg
    PXL_20240414_230824302.RAW-01.COVER.jpg
    821.5 KB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20240414_230959649.RAW-01.COVER.jpg
    PXL_20240414_230959649.RAW-01.COVER.jpg
    732 KB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20240415_000647774.RAW-01.COVER.jpg
    PXL_20240415_000647774.RAW-01.COVER.jpg
    673 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: Mdragger88
Do you have kids? If so let them enjoy "Diamond Day"! Throw them in the pool then throw the salt in. Encourage them to open their eyes under water to watch the "diamonds" as they float down. As they try to catch them and splash around they will help you mix it all in.
Ummmm, I’m sorry, but I’m decades away from being a kid and I totally enjoy diamond day. I make my daughter toss in the salt while I am in pool. 😂

Just put down 12"x12" pavers and filled in the inner area and legs with rubber mulch. Really cleaned up the aesthetic! We want to get a vertical deck box to hide the filter pump and SWG. But the best one is an ugly beige. I found a grey one on Amazon,but doesn't look very sturdy and gets mixed reviews.

17136453302373122506648354215453.jpg17136454012666583452948741295752.jpg

Thanks! Feel like this came out better than I expected. It does look really nice when wet. Once the wood base fades to grey this is going to look really even better. I did put down about 45 rubber fatigue mats on top of the sand and under the silver drop cloth before installing the pool so I'm expecting a really nice foot feel too. From what I could feel with frozen feet during the fill, while trying to get rid of any wrinkles, it was nice!

Are the Intex solar heaters complete junk? I was considering getting 2-3, maybe 4 if they actually worked.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support