New pool going in!

cssnms

Sep 19, 2023
Annapolis
We are very excited that our new pool project is about to start - tomorrow is the official start day.

Just a little background on our build...

15 x 30 inground pool, w/slate coping, currently spec'd w/Wet Edge Tahoe Signature Matrix, Intellicenter Control w/salt generator, Polaris 380 and Booster Pump, Ultra Temp 140k BTU Heat Pump, Jandy WaterColors Nichless LED lights, 3 deck jets.

I have a couple of questions after we received an e-mail from our PB yesterday...

1) They explained they are switching from WetEdge to PebbleTec. That if I want to go with PebbleTec/PebbleSheen I would need to re-visit colors. I also have the option of staying with my original selection WetEdge Signature Matrix Tier 1. Needless to say this through us for a bit of a loop. I understand the two products are effectively functionally the same, so I am not sure we could go wrong with either? A couple of the PebbleSheen colors (Ocean Blue and Turtle Bay) did catch my eye, which has me second guessing our original color selection (Tahoe).

Any input on this front would be appreciated.

2) In the same e-mail from our PB, they pitched a product called MicroGlass which they said they are now offering which is supposed to have some benefits like reducing discoloration, craze-cracking, etching and palster dust. Based on my research this product is relatively new. There were a couple of old threads on here from a year ago but I could not find much else. Does anyone have personal experience with MicroGlass? I was referred to look up John Temple from TempPools, apparently he was an early adopter of this product and has been using it quite a bit.

Thanks all!

Jandy WaterColors Nichless LED lights,
Make sure you are getting P Series model lights that can be controlled by your IntelliCenter and the power is appropriate for your color finish.

IMG_1134.png

2) In the same e-mail from our PB, they pitched a product called MicroGlass which they said they are now offering which is supposed to have some benefits like reducing discoloration, craze-cracking, etching and palster dust. Based on my research this product is relatively new. There were a couple of old threads on here from a year ago but I could not find much else. Does anyone have personal experience with MicroGlass? I was referred to look up John Temple from TempPools, apparently he was an early adopter of this product and has been using it quite a bit.

I think this is like the added profit new car paint coatings car dealers try and sell you. But let’s see what @onBalance thinks.

Make sure you are getting P Series model lights that can be controlled by your IntelliCenter and the power is appropriate for your color finish.

View attachment 552288

I think this is like the added profit new car paint coatings car dealers try and sell you. But let’s see what @onBalance thinks.
Thanks for the tip. The PB told me they were controllable and through my phone on the app so was thinking I was good here?

Thanks for the tip. The PB told me they were controllable and through my phone on the app so was thinking I was good here?
If the PB installs the correct model lights that are compatible with your IntelliCenter.

I do have a couple of questions/comments on your build:

1. What is the brand/model of your pump(s)? You typically want your pump(s) to be the same brand as your automation system (Intellicenter is Pentair).

2. Your cleaner is not bad, but the Polaris 380 is an old-school pressure cleaner which requires a booster pump. For the same price or maybe even a bit cheaper, you can get a robotic cleaner which is newer cleaning technology and just plugs into the wall so there is no extra pump needed (which saves you from having to replace the pump down the road).

Good luck with the build and keep the questions coming, we love helping and seeing projects from start to finish.

Reactions: cssnms
Any plaster product that contains a "blue" color pigment is a gamble. Many finished plaster colors contain a blue pigment along with another color such as gray to achieve a desired appearance. Unfortunately, some blue colors that are used can bleach out and leave the other color intact. For example, a special blue/gray color soon becomes a gray only color. You may not even realize it when it slowly changes. Some manufacturers and plasterers aren't forthcoming regarding this issue.

Micro glass seems to be a good product, but there isn't enough long-term information for me to recommend it or not.
Jon Temple is a good source and very knowledgeable, but I don't think he is in your area.

Reactions: cssnms
2. Your cleaner is not bad, but the Polaris 380 is an old-school pressure cleaner which requires a booster pump. For the same price or maybe even a bit cheaper, you can get a robotic cleaner which is newer cleaning technology and just plugs into the wall so there is no extra pump needed (which saves you from having to replace the pump down the road).

Booster pumps seem to have better reliability than the latest generation of robot cleaners and cost less to replace.

Every type of cleaner needs periodic maintenance and eventual replacement.

I do have a couple of questions/comments on your build:

1. What is the brand/model of your pump(s)? You typically want your pump(s) to be the same brand as your automation system (Intellicenter is Pentair).

Good luck with the build and keep the questions coming, we love helping and seeing projects from start to finish.
Pentair whisper flow I think is what the spec calls for.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Any plaster product that contains a "blue" color pigment is a gamble. Many finished plaster colors contain a blue pigment along with another color such as gray to achieve a desired appearance. Unfortunately, some blue colors that are used can bleach out and leave the other color intact. For example, a special blue/gray color soon becomes a gray only color. You may not even realize it when it slowly changes. Some manufacturers and plasterers aren't forthcoming regarding this issue.

Micro glass seems to be a good product, but there isn't enough long-term information for me to recommend it or not.
Jon Temple is a good source and very knowledgeable, but I don't think he is in your area.
Jon uses it and has videos. I may email him with questions. It's a new product to my PB so they are not totally up to speed on it. But at $450 I thought it was pretty low risk.

Jon Temple on Microglass

"Jon Temple, owner of Tempool Inc., a plastering company in north Florida, has plastered tens of thousands of pools across the world, and he’s seen many products come and go. Before Temple uses anything on his customers’ pools, he tests and retests it. Three years ago he started in-house testing MicroGlass, first applying it on a top step to see if UV would impact it. Then he put it on plaster samples that were dropped into the bottom of a pool and put them through the ringer.

“We took the pH down to zero, the alkalinity down to zero,” Temple says. They also brought the chlorine up to 10 ppm and the cyanuric acid over 100 ppm. “We did all of that and it didn’t hurt [the samples].”

That was enough to get Temple to try it on some of his pools, but the testing didn’t end there. Next, they used MicroGlass on a newly plastered black pool and successfully completed a hot start up, without raising the calcium. “That told me the MicroGlass had sealed off that plaster enough to where the zero pH and zero alkalinity did not pull any calcium out of the plaster,” Temple says."

After looking at a bunch of pictures, looking at and feeling the different samples (Pebbletec, Pebblesheen and Wet Wdge) I think we've settled on PebbleSheen Ocean Blue.

The big difference is the aggregate size and "feel" of the plaster in-hand. The Pebblesheen feels smoother to the touch and I think will be easier on feet. When I more aggressively rub the Pebblesheen, Wet Ege and original Pebbletec finishes, comparatively I sort of equate the feel of Pebblesheen as more of a finer grit sandpaper vs the Wet Edge Signature series and original Pebbletec I equate to the abrasiveness of a sidewalk.

The look of the aggregate and feel of the orginal Pebbletec and Wet Edge Signature are effectively the same.
Compress_20240202_102324_4611.jpgCompress_20240202_102324_4383.jpgCompress_20240202_102324_4102.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support