Houston, TX
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hi all

I had an Intellichem system added when we built. I quickly learned the hassle of ORP and converted to salt, however, I like the ability to add acid.

This year my system has stopped dispensing. I have changed the peristaltic tube, changed tubing, etc but cannot get it to pump acid. The system runs as it's supposed to (pH sensor working, motor comes on), but no acid to pool.

I must have an air leak somewhere between the tank and the peristaltic tube but I cannot find it. I turned the tube around and tried to 'blow' air into the tank and squirted all ferrule fittings, the tank fitting, and the connection on the bottom with soapy water...no bubbles. 🤷

I'm just about to throw in the towel and buy a whole new tank. So:

1. Anyone got any other suggestions to get it to work? Hate replacing cuz it functions almost right.

2. If I replace it, should I get another Pentair tank or should I consider buying a Stenner with a bigger tank that runs on a fixed dosage. I kinda like the simplicity of this but like having the pH reading through my software. Maybe I can leave the pH sensor working and simply disable both tank outputs? Thoughts?

Hard to reply without seeing your system. Is your pump on the intellichem or built into the tank? How do you have it hooked up to your flow cell? pictures would help.

Pump is built into intellichem tank.
17149245286687889233228297074748.jpg

Acid dispenses downstream of SWG and heater. Flow cell inlet is between filter outlet and heater inlet and flow cell outlet is between SWG and acid injection point.

17149245484524454883545395900533.jpg

I cannot get any acid to come out of the tank but pump operating normally. I have replaced the pump tube (white one that the pumps uses, the fitting on the tank (it has a connection w an oring), the dip tube inside the tank, ferrules, and all the hoses.

I have disconnected all lines downstream of the white tube to minimize back pressure but nada.
1714925032943199026108078438369.jpg

It sure seems like an air leak somehow but no idea how to find it.

Fingers crossed, I may have just gotten it. Think the white pump tubes I bought were not right. I had a second package with the PN matching the Pentair manual. These were slightly shorter than the one I put one. Maybe there was another PN. Anyway, it's dispensing acid again!

Hope you got it. The new system, pump on the tank, and older system, pump on the intellichem use different tubing in the stenner pump and this would effect the roller correctly compressing the tubing. In your photo I see no acid output to the return line, but I suspect you know that. I put the acid return after my filter and heater, but before the intellichlor as the dilute acid can help keep down build up in the intellichlor. If you were not succesful Please post again. Best wishes.

I know it's pentair recommended to be before the cell but I know of one such set up that in about a year and change it took out the cell albeit it was under warranty but it'll happen again. If the pool technician doesn't water down the tank enough for the mix it'll be too strong which is probably what happened first time around. Even in the diluted capacity it can't be good to the plates and erodes it steadily.

Hope you got it. The new system, pump on the tank, and older system, pump on the intellichem use different tubing in the stenner pump and this would effect the roller correctly compressing the tubing. In your photo I see no acid output to the return line, but I suspect you know that. I put the acid return after my filter and heater, but before the intellichlor as the dilute acid can help keep down build up in the intellichlor. If you were not succesful Please post again. Best wishes.
The acid output line is there (not connected in this pic cuz I was messing with it). It's where the gray check valve is located. It's not on the return line, it's on the discharge line from after the heater