Hayward VS motor can't be replaced??

abfab

Gold Supporter
Nov 12, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I have a 7-year old Hayward Superpump VS (Model SP2603VSP). It's makes a really loud squealing noise which I think may be a worn wheel bearing? I don't have the skill to repair it so I was planning to replace the motor so I can open the pool, then have someone see if they can repair it. However, the manual says "permanent magnet motor" and suggests that I would have to replace the power end assembly which would cost more than a whole new pump. I called Hayward to but they were useless. Pool store didn't know either. Can someone confirm if I can replace just the motor on this unit?

If not, can someone recommend a pump that has a replaceable motor so I don't have this issue in the future? 13,000g inground. Most of my equipment is Hayward.

Called another pool shop who said Hayward VS motors are not replaceable. They only sell Hayward, so he suggested a 1hp dual speed Hayward which does have a replaceable motor. My VS was 1.65 but he said I didn't need that much since I don't have water features. Apparently dual speed last about 10 years vs 7 for VS? It's also a lot cheaper than buying a new VS.
I used to have a dual speed Hayward but changed to VS because of energy costs. Since then I have been able to switch from time of day pricing to flat rate so I only increase rpms when running the heater or backwashing. otherwise run on low 24/7.

Just confirming, is this your pump?

If so, the motor is removable. I know because the wet end is very similar to the wet end of the Hayward super pump motor I replaced with a variable speed V-Green motor. I'm on the third year with the motor and I'm happy with it.

Just confirming, is this your pump?

If so, the motor is removable. I know because the wet end is very similar to the wet end of the Hayward super pump motor I replaced with a variable speed V-Green motor. I'm on the third year with the motor and I'm happy with it.
It looks the same. Mine doesn't have W3 as part of the model number however. The original motor says Century.

Thats just silly, but understandable from someone selling the 2 speed and doesnt have the VSP. 😉
They sell both. They said the vsp motors from hayward aren't replaceable so I was considering going back to a dual speed that is.

I've since talked to a pool installer who has done some work for me in the past who recommended not going with Hayward. He's been impressed with the B&D vsps. Also installs pentair. I don't think either have replaceable motors but last longer.

I don't think either have replaceable motors but last longer.

Pentair pump motors are replaceable. See the Pentair 2023 Pump Parts Catalog

The issue is availability and pricing. It is rarely economical to replace a VS pump motor from Pentair, Hayward, or Jandy versus the cost of a new pump.

Pentair pump motors are replaceable. See the Pentair 2023 Pump Parts Catalog

The issue is availability and pricing. It is rarely economical to replace a VS pump motor from Pentair, Hayward, or Jandy versus the cost of a new pump.
Yeah I was told there wouldn't be much cost savings. Going back to dual would require me to reinstall the switch that I had removed when I got the vsp. I think I'm going to buy a new vsp pump then see if I can get a family member to repair the hayward or replace the motor. If so will keep it as back up.
I didn't realize these units had become disposable like everything else these days.

Have you looked into the VGreen EVO series motors? They now can interface with various manufactures controllers:

Have you looked into the VGreen EVO series motors? They now can interface with various manufactures controllers:

thanks. will check them out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They sell both. They said the vsp motors from hayward aren't replaceable so I was considering going back to a dual speed that is.

I've since talked to a pool installer who has done some work for me in the past who recommended not going with Hayward. He's been impressed with the B&D vsps. Also installs pentair. I don't think either have replaceable motors but last longer.
Do you have automation?
A Nidec Neptune NPTT165 motor will replace the motor you have now and work very similar in terms of programming, etc.
If you have automation, a Century EVC165 will work and communicate with it.
A GO KIT 3 will have the needed shaft seal, O ring, gaskets, etc.
Any shop/service company that says a Hayward-pump motor can't be replaced should be avoided at all costs.
If you are considering a new VSP, look into a Waterway Power Defender. They use the Nidec motors. They make a 1.65 and 2.7 model.

Do you have automation?
A Nidec Neptune NPTT165 motor will replace the motor you have now and work very similar in terms of programming, etc.
If you have automation, a Century EVC165 will work and communicate with it.
A GO KIT 3 will have the needed shaft seal, O ring, gaskets, etc.
Any shop/service company that says a Hayward-pump motor can't be replaced should be avoided at all costs.
If you are considering a new VSP, look into a Waterway Power Defender. They use the Nidec motors. They make a 1.65 and 2.7 model.
No automation.