cluelessinAZ

Sep 17, 2020
Southern Arizona
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I hired a company to redo my poor decrepit pool deck. My circa 1979 pool had at least 3 layers of who knows what over the original kool deck that was all flaking off in various ways and, as the contracts have now verified, was not poured over a properly prepared surface, so it was cracking badly as it settled. Plus it was graded to slant toward the house with no drain--super fun!

20240504_153218.jpg

Contractors were busy and backed up, so no action until this spring. I had the pool closed for "winter," which.. I'm in Arizona, so "closing" the pool for me just meant covering it to cut down on evaporation and make winter maintenance easier. I took off the cover for the contractors to start their work last week and balanced out the water to the best of my ability--water looked great. Contractors then got quite a bit of concrete dust in the pool while cutting away the cracked parts of the deck. Obviously this was expected, though I had hoped they would do more to try to mitigate it. They fished out any big pieces, and the filter seems to be catching most of the dust (lots of backwashing has happened).

Demo:
20240508_115431.png

Repour + resurfacing:
20240514_125551.jpg
Now they are spraying the lace texture. My pump is off while they do this, and they covered part of the water near the edge, but they have gotten a LOT in the water. I can see puddles of it floating like oil on the surface (no pics yet). Is this something I can trust to the filter system (sand) once I'm allowed to turn it back on, or is there some other method I should use, or should I just plan on draining and starting over (oof)?

I watched a video of a contractor who taped what looked like 3 or 4ml plastic around the areas where they were painting. Some use bubble wrap because it floats but it's much more expensive.

No idea what it will do to your pump/chemicals though.

Welcome to the forum.

I would not let much, or any of it, reach the filter.

Use skimmer socks, or even absorbent pads if it is oil in nature.

Reactions: Bperry