Exposed Metal/Rebar(maybe) Above Skimmer Causing Rust and Plaster Stains

I just wanted to update this thread for anyone who may have a similar issue.

1 yr. later, the pool putty on the skimmer held up well. No rust.

However, the spa spillover was horrendous. We had a very rainy winter and my pool was basically overflowing for several months and one day I looked at the spillover and it was disgusting. Waaaay more rust than before, several tiles below it were completely rusted through all the grout, and it was even dripping down on to the plaster. Oh well, lesson learned.

I hired a pool company to do the repair. Price seemed fair... but it only took one guy, and a helper, 4 hours to fix both. I was shocked. But the owner of the company said they do this kind of repair all the time. So even though I was stressed about the cost and process, he kept saying it was a piece of cake. And it was.

He cut out the coping over the skimmer and the spillover, replaced the metal with some sort of slate/tile bridge and put the same coping back down did some minor tile work and done. There was definitely more to it but that's the gist of it.

I was lucky I had some leftover tile because I also had him raise my spillover an inch and a half because I would always get cold water coming into the spa during the winter so he had to retile that area as well as replacing all the old rusted tiles.

Bottom line, the entire repair cost me $800 and I couldn't be happier with the work.

You're going to show the before pictures, but not the AFTER pictures? Come on!
Hahaha. I thought I might get called out on that. I threw my back out yesterday so I can't get underneath but it's just clean grey slate. I really should have taken a before pic of the of the spa the other day before they started the work but I was just so disgusted with it.

And look, it's not perfection, but like I said, I'm very happy with the outcome. Here's a couple of pics.

Attachments

• Skimmer after pic.jpg
    Skimmer after pic.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Spa Spillover Front after pic.jpg
    Spa Spillover Front after pic.jpg
    397.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Spa Spillover after pic.jpg
    Spa Spillover after pic.jpg
    382.1 KB · Views: 23