Hiram, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I battled all last swimming season with iron staining. I think it was a mystery to everyone on this site also. I

I did several AA treatments. The pool would clean up beautifully. But, no matter what sequestrant I used or how slowly I raised my chlorine levels, the staining returned. I carefully monitored the PH levels also. I even bought the sequestrant test from Jacks and couldn’t stay on top of it. I tried polyfil after a slam. I finally just balanced the chemicals and swam some. But, I ended up covering the pool for the first time and called it a year.

I’m not sure how the iron got in the water. I am in county water which I paid to have tested and the iron didn’t come from my fill water. I changed out a metal band that was in the filter pod that had a little rust on it. The only other thing I thought it could be was some red Georgia clay that could have gotten into it when I was pressure washing.

So, this year I want to start over. I’m not sure the best way to go about it. I haven’t peeked under the cover to see what the water looks like. But, I’m guessing it could be pretty yucky.

I want to change out my water.
I bought new filters.
But, do I slam 1st and then do an AA treatment?
Do I take my filters out before I do any treatments?
I’ll have to add some water to even start up the pool.
What’s the best way to change out the water? A continuous exhange or drain a little and refill? How will I know the water is actually exchanged?

I know this is a very long post from a desperate pool owner. I missed a lot of pool time last year with my 1st grand baby and I want to make up for it this summer. I don’t want to make any mistakes.

Thanks good people of the pool community!

Penny

Have you tested your water for iron staining?
There are stain kits available.

With a vinyl pool you want to leave a minimal of 12 inches in the bottom. It actually may be best to do an water exchange.
See below

If you plan to exchange water then you would do a SLAM or any treatments after the new water is in place.
Calling @Mdragger88 for advice

With the polyfill did you catch any iron?
You did polyfill whilst @ slam level correct?
contrary to what herman said, I believe, if you have stains you would want to treat/ lift them with AA, then use the sequesterant (to hold them), then exchange as much iron laden water as possible while it is bound with sequestrant before the iron re deposits on to the walls. Then follow up with more sequestrant for any iron possibly left after the exchange to be extra cautious.
Lets verify this order of operations with some others
Calling @duraleigh & @Texas Splash ….

The no drain water exchange is your safest option- read carefully in the article on how to accomplish it. Its quite straightforward really.

Reactions: HermanTX
@Pennypat , the link below will guide you. Yes, carts out and use sequestrant after the AA treatment. After the AA, you'll probably go into a SLAM, so be sure to keep some polyfill in the skimmer(s) to catch any residual iron if it pops up. If you still have questions let us know. Good luck!

With the polyfill did you catch any iron?
You did polyfill whilst @ slam level correct?
contrary to what herman said, I believe, if you have stains you would want to treat/ lift them with AA, then use the sequesterant (to hold them), then exchange as much iron laden water as possible while it is bound with sequestrant before the iron re deposits on to the walls. Then follow up with more sequestrant for any iron possibly left after the exchange to be extra cautious.
Lets verify this order of operations with some others
Calling @duraleigh & @Texas Splash ….

The no drain water exchange is your safest option- read carefully in the article on how to accomplish it. Its quite straightforward really.
I didn’t catch any iron with the polyfil. But had done an AA treatment prior to the slam. I should have done it prior to the AA treatment. Live and learn, right.

If u had success with the Aa treatment initially- just do that, sequester & then start exchanging the water immediately after.
Upon the completion of the water exchange get some polyfill in the skimmers incase you get some iron showing up when fc is normal.
Have you ever done the white bucket test with your fill water to see if it contains iron? I don’t recall if it was discussed previously in your threads.

If u had success with the Aa treatment initially- just do that, sequester & then start exchanging the water immediately after.
Upon the completion of the water exchange get some polyfill in the skimmers incase you get some iron showing up when fc is normal.
Have you ever done the white bucket test with your fill water to see if it contains iron? I don’t recall if it was discussed previously in your threads.
Actually, I did do the white bucket test. It was negative for iron. But, I read a post on here that said it was not accurate due to a difference in PH or something. I actually had the water tested through a company (not a pool company). lol. One thing I’m concerned about is how the water is going to look when I take the cover off. I had planned on doing it while the weather was cold. A couple of weeks ago it was 9 degrees. Now is around 59 degrees. I’m guessing it will get cold again. So, if it’s green, would you still do the AA treatment 1st with the filters in or out? And, do you always put the pump on the deep end with saltwater?

If you mean green with algae you need to do the slam process first to completion to rid yourself of it.
Then after fc falls - proceed with the aa steps which include removing the filters.
I’ll have to defer to others for your best placement of the pump & fill hose for the water exchange.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How do you know it was iron stain? Seems unlikely with vinyl liner. I have never seen iron stain in my area and i have a bit of iron and magnesium in my well water.

Each year i just slam the heck out of my pool opening and vac to waste. Never ever would i use any fancy filter or sequestering agent. My $0.02.

How do you know it was iron stain? Seems unlikely with vinyl liner. I have never seen iron stain in my area and i have a bit of iron and magnesium in my well water.

Each year i just slam the heck out of my pool opening and vac to waste. Never ever would i use any fancy filter or sequestering agent. My $0.02.
Iron can definitely stain vinyl liners just like any other surface once the levels get high enough.

Reactions: Pennypat
Again, did it come from your water? No, you already stated in the first post that the county water was low in iron. So where did your "color" come from?
You stated that it could be clay. That probably just sunk to the bottom. Did you stay on top of your chlorine? I think that maybe you had a bit of an algae bloom that died settled out and gave off a "color."

I think that you would be wasting money going down the sequester agent, new filter, and water swap chasing iron that is not there. Just complete a SLAM, beginning to end.

In reference to my post #2 - never add something to your pool unless it is to address a known issue.
Consider doing a stain test

Also for your info

Again, did it come from your water? No, you already stated in the first post that the county water was low in iron. So where did your "color" come from?
You stated that it could be clay. That probably just sunk to the bottom. Did you stay on top of your chlorine? I think that maybe you had a bit of an algae bloom that died settled out and gave off a "color."

I think that you would be wasting money going down the sequester agent, new filter, and water swap chasing iron that is not there. Just complete a SLAM, beginning to end.
I’ve done a slam. That’s what makes the iron settle on the liner. I’m not certain where the iron came from. But, I suspect it could have been when I pressure washed my deck and some mud got in the pool. I don’t recall a lot of it settling on the bottom. But, clay does contain iron. But, when I do an AA treatment, it releases the iron from the liner and back into the water. I’m only going to sequester it until I can do a water exchange. I’ve spent oodles of money and this is all that’s left to do to try to solve the problem.

In reference to my post #2 - never add something to your pool unless it is to address a known issue.
Consider doing a stain test

Also for your info
I haven’t used Jack’s majic stain testing. But, I did the vitamin C test. And, the chlorine tablet test. And, it’s iron.

I’ve done a slam. That’s what makes the iron settle on the liner. I’m not certain where the iron came from. But, I suspect it could have been when I pressure washed my deck and some mud got in the pool. I don’t recall a lot of it settling on the bottom. But, clay does contain iron. But, when I do an AA treatment, it releases the iron from the liner and back into the water. I’m only going to sequester it until I can do a water exchange. I’ve spent oodles of money and this is all that’s left to do to try to solve the problem.
If it is settling then vac to waste and be done with what ever it is.

I did an AA treatment on Saturday. It took 10 lbs. and about 24 hours. I started the water exchange on Sunday. I’m having to do it in shifts. In 12 hours I’m draining about 3300 gallons. So, I only have 3 more days off and will still have about 8000 gallons left to drain. I haven’t added anything since the AA treatment and it still looks great. It’s getting warmer and I may end up with some algae. But, I’m going to risk it. IMG_4180.jpegIMG_4168.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4178.jpeg
    IMG_4178.jpeg
    710.6 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: Mdragger88
When you break up the exchange the new water mixes with old- meaning you will need to use more water in the end to exchange the same amount. Regardless the dilution will certainly help your cause.
You can use your other parameters (cya/ch/salt) to determine how well your exchange went. If you achieve a full exchange they would be near zero.

Reactions: HermanTX

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support