Chemicals seem to have no effect

That's half a pass. (y) What were the CCs ?
Well, I didn’t do those. Just said free chlorine. I did not see anything about combine chlorine in the explanation so I have to do it again I guess probably not for a day or two I have company coming this evening and tomorrow morning. so Disruptive getting up that early. I had been doing CC and I was getting zero.

I left the circulation on all night because I didn’t wanna have to get up and a half hour earlier to turn the pump on. We’re talking at 5:30 here.

Reactions: Newdude
I left the circulation on all night because I didn’t wanna have to get up and a half hour earlier to turn the pump on. We’re talking at 5:30 here.
Smart. A little bit of electricity is worth every penny sometimes. (y)
I had been doing CC and I was getting zero.
That's certainly promising and hopefully you'll pass with flying colors when you can test both FC and CC in the AM.

No problem. I can do that in a couple mornings. For now should I keep aiming for 6 and 7 ppm on the FC? I have to admit I had hoped the CYA would make this a little more stable. I’m trying to imagine leaving for a long weekend and how you handle that. Especially in the middle of summer. When it’s 100° + here.

It’s totally normal to lose 3 to 4ppm every day in the summer. If you need to leave for the weekend, You can install a saltwater chlorinator, add a few tablets to a floater, have a neighbor add some while you’re gone or you can even bring it up to slam level before you leave.

For now should I keep aiming for 6 and 7 ppm on the FC
With little daily loss ? Sure. I forget now what it's been but it's up to you to know the recent daily loss so you can target to have some wiggle room and remain free and clear above min. If you're losing 1 to 2 ppm a day now, a 7 or 8 is fine to start before the loss. When you're losing 3, 4 or even 5 ppm a day in July because Arizona, then the target gets bumped to reflect that.

Once you are absolutely sure you have passed the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test, you will be increasing your CYA to about 50 or 60 if using liquid chlorine.

Be very consistent and methodical in your testing and dosing.
Always dose for the high side of the target range.
Hold the reagent bottles vertical when dispensing the drops.
Dispense the reagent drops about one drop every second.
Let the drops fully form on the bottle tip - do not force them off.

If you need to dose a little over high target to prevent falling near minimum before the next dose then do so. As mentioned above you can go all the way up to slam level if you need to be away.
Right now you’re getting a feel for how much fc your pool eats daily this time of year/ in these conditions. Which looks to be around 1ppm each day according to your logs. That’s pretty good for spring 80+ degree days in Az.
The fc in the pool will never just stay the same. It is consumed constantly. The rate increases as uv & organic load increases.
The same things are happening in the pool now as they always have been for all these years except now you’re fully aware of them because they aren’t masked by the tab’s effects.
Before, the tabs were feeding the pool fc a little bit around the clock for you (albeit likely not enough) so it might have seemed “stable” but now you must manually dose the pool sufficiently each time to get through to the next dose.
The same goes with ph- the tabs were acidic so they were also lowering ph some all the time - now you’re completely manually doing this with Muriatic acid.
You’re doing great 👍🏻
Let’s get the complete
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test done to be sure you’re out of the woods & then you can increase cya a little more to help protect the fc more as the uv gets stronger & the days get longer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Once you are absolutely sure you have passed the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test, you will be increasing your CYA to about 50 or 60 if using liquid chlorine.

Be very consistent and methodical in your testing and dosing.
Always dose for the high side of the target range.
Hold the reagent bottles vertical when dispensing the drops.
Dispense the reagent drops about one drop every second.
Let the drops fully form on the bottle tip - do not force them off.
I will get that OCLT done tonight so we can move on. I sure appreciate you all!

Sweet job !!!!

Your next misson is to avoid min FC like we renamed it to 'Swampville'. Do you want to be leaning on the fence at Swampville ? Heck no you don't. You want 2 bridges and half a highway between you. You probably will need to dose over target to achieve that in the peak season with high daily loss. If you're losing 4ppm a day with 30CYA, starting at 6 has you leaning on the fence at Swampville.

lc_chart.jpg

Great on the fc/cc - the ph seems suspish… use the phenol red test
I edited that pH. I was having trouble at 5:45 in the morning pH meter wasn’t behaving either. Along with having a difficult time reading the phenol red. I did this again and the meter coincided with a lower reading on the phenol red of 8.4 (fixed log)

Reactions: Mdragger88
Sweet job !!!!

Your next misson is to avoid min FC like we renamed it to 'Swampville'. Do you want to be leaning on the fence at Swampville ? Heck no you don't. You want 2 bridges and half a highway between you. You probably will need to dose over target to achieve that in the peak season with high daily loss. If you're losing 4ppm a day with 30CYA, starting at 6 has you leaning on the fence at Swampville.

View attachment 564125
This makes sense. What about the CYA? Should I be looking at bringing that up to 40 or something like that?

Should I be looking at bringing that up to 40 or something like that?
Up to you. You'll need 40 or maybe even 50 at some point. When the FC isn't holding well during the day, and you passed a OCLT such as now, then you need a little more CYA.

So you can add 10 now, or wait for the UV demand to increase first.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Up to you. You'll need 40 or maybe even 50 at some point. When the FC isn't holding well during the day, and you passed a OCLT such as now, then you need a little more CYA.

So you can add 10 now, or wait for the UV demand to increase first.
Ok you can’t reduce CYA right? It only increases?

Ok you can’t reduce CYA right? It only increases?
As long as you add what was recommended and continue to use liquid chlorine (or a SWG) it won't matter.
Adding 3" Trichlor tabs or additional CYA (above what was recommended) will cause the CYA to increase.
But you need 40-50 CYA to keep the FC from burning off quickly in the AZ heat/sun. It's supposed to be mid-90's by mid next week.
Add enough stabilizer/CYA to increase your CYA to 40-50.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support