Silver Supporter
Aug 9, 2020
Carefree AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I’ve had high Chlorine (Cl that shows in a simple Leslie’s test kit) for quite awhile. Had Leslie’s test a few times and we’ve added a few things to either de-Chlorinate or bring pH up. Haven’t shocked in a long time. Took tab floater out of the pool. pH has been in range. Yesterday I tested and pH doesn’t even register. Water in test kit is completely clear. Added about 5lbs of soda ash in steps and still no reading.

Frankly, none of the chemicals seem to do the job anymore. Is my water done? Do we need to drain and start over? I haven’t done that in forever so I’ll probably need to get a more comprehensive testing kit to track more water characteristics. Just want to know if I’m on the right track?

I agree that I need a better and more comprehensive test kit; however I’ve been testing this pool with this brand kit for 36 years and have always gotten readings in range. So I’ll order a new kit but question still remains… chlorine has been sitting very high (>= 3) for a few months with no chlorine products added. Getting tests done at Leslie’s. pH dropped to No reading.

You cannot have high FC if you have not added any chlorine for a few months. Not possible. Very high FC can bleach out the test reagents you are using.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I agree that I need a better and more comprehensive test kit; however I’ve been testing this pool with this brand kit for 36 years and have always gotten readings in range. So I’ll order a new kit but question still remains… chlorine has been sitting very high (>= 3) for a few months with no chlorine products added. Getting tests done at Leslie’s. pH dropped to No reading.
Leslie’s testing is terrible and likely the cause of your problem. Get one of the two TFP recommended test kits. The TF-100 is the most economical for what you get.

And FC BELOW 3ppm is likely way too low.

Fill water has a TA of 130 ppm. With high evaporation rates.
Excessive use of tabs can deplete the TA completely.

The FC might be above 20 or even above 50 ppm and an FASDPD and OTO test should be done on a sample as well as making a diluted sample with 50% distilled water and 50% pool water and test the diluted sample with OTO and FASDPD.

An FC ≈ 3.0 is not “very high”. Not even by TFP standards.

Gotta ask - are you following TFP recommendations and pool care or are you following Leslie’s? You can’t do both and you gotta choose. We’re willing to help but you’ve got to play by our rules or else we’ll all just be wasting one another’s time …

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Leslie’s testing is terrible and likely the cause of your problem. Get one of the two TFP recommended test kits. The TF-100 is the most economical for what you get.

And FC BELOW 3ppm is likely way too low.
I was just reading that I get a discount on the TF-100. I was just going to try to find the link to buy…

Had Leslie’s test a few times
Stay out of the pool store. Their testing is inferior to a quality test kit.

we’ve added a few things to either de-Chlorinate or bring pH up
You should never need to add either of those products. FC will naturally decrease, especially in AZ. With typical water chemistry, pH will naturally rise.

pH has been in range. Yesterday I tested and pH doesn’t even register.
What does that mean? What is the last measured pH?

Frankly, none of the chemicals seem to do the job anymore. Is my water done? Do we need to drain and start over?
A quality test kit will answer those questions.

I’ve been testing this pool with this brand kit for 36 years and have always gotten readings in range.
That doesn't mean that your readings have been valid or accurate. Probably the opposite.

OK. I’m the proud owner of a TP 100 test kit. I have done my first initial tests I have results which are low and high (cept pH which is in range) so where is the best place to go in this forum to find out what to do with my results and my pool?

Keep it here for backstop and context. Post up the results. Skip the block FC test as it's not accurate and TC is not useful.

FC
CC
Ph
Ta
CH
CYA

Reactions: Mdragger88
BTW: Got the message on whose advice to follow. TFP 100% from now on.

10,000 gallon/pebble tech
FC 0.5
CC 0.0
Ph 7.5-7.8
Ta 170
CH 850 !!!
CYA 60 (a little unsure, dot might be faint)

I did figure out the Pool Math app and I did get recommendations on how to change each result. I see that the CH would require getting rid of half of my pool water which I suspected based on what I know about the pool. However, I don’t know the order to do these things in. I figure I should replace half the water first, but would love to have a method before I get started.

Ps I can’t get the cap off of the pH meter. I’m afraid I will break it.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support