Calcium Chloride spots on plaster

bevodive

Mar 30, 2024
Austin, Texas
We have slowly but surely been balancing the water in our new 16,500 gallon pool. We have Pebble Tec finish. My numbers are as follows:

Alkalinity - 70
PH - hovers around 8.0, but I consistently bring it back down to 7.6 using muriatic acid
TC - I keep it around 4.0 but have to add about 40 oz of liquid chlorine each evening
CYA - 35 (slowly brining up to 45)
CH - 300

I have been slowing bringing the CH up from near zero a couple weeks ago by adding 5 lbs of Calcium Chloride I got from Leslie's. I made a rookie mistake my last 5 lbs but not diluting first, so a lot the granules settled on the bottom of the pool. I immediately brushed them thoroughly which stirred just about all of it up into the water. I always leave the pumps running when adding any chemicals.

The next morning I noticed a few white spots on the bottom right where I dumped the Calcium Chloride. Assuming these spots are from the Calcium Chloride, will they eventually dissolve themselves with consistent brushing? Or are they permanent stains. Fortunately it is very minimal, and I'm probably the only one who would ever notice.

I assume that the locally increased CSI under that pile of calcium chloride resulted in some calcium carbonate scaling.

Keep brushing and CSI negative, and see how you go.

-0.3 is good. Short term you could go a bit lower, but not below -0.6.

At which pH is your CSI -0.3? What's your water temperature?

I'd leave it as it is for now. You can also try some 80 or 100 grit wet dry sandpaper.