A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

Your patio is beautiful and the line dividing the new section from the old looks very natural.

It's been an amazing year and we've been swimming throughout the winter! I've decided that 65F is about as cold as I can stand..and only when the sun is out :)
The pool has been around 77F all week and our children and their friends have been using it every day.

You're almost done! Thanks for sharing your adventure with us. It reminds me of what we went through about a year ago.

Hi Appelbe! Glad you stopped by! Have you been swimming this year yet?

Yes, a bit close, but he did seem like he'd done it a few times before!

Decided to get out my nifty TF-100 kit to practice. I didn't know if should I run the chlorine test. Will my tap water have chlorine? Anyway, it was super easy to do CH and TA. The instructions are very clear. Here is what I have so far:

CH 250
TA 120

So should I still do the chlorine test? Hate to waste the reagents if I don't need to. Also, I know I won't have any CYA so should I wait on that one?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You did it! I am so proud! Neat huh??

FC in city drinking water is normal as they have to "clean" it so..........

CC of 3.5 is something you will have to deal with when you add water to your pool.

PH of 7.2 is AWESOME! That gives you a good start. It will go up fast and often with new plaster.

TA 120 is a little high BUT that is the LAST thing we work on so no big deal.

CH 250 (I am not strong on CH so will let others answer that one.

I am going to give you a link for you to print out and keep by your test kit.

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Now compare your numbers to this chart and see where your fill water falls.

This link will show you what to buy and do to move each level. Do NOT go buy anything just yet as you many not need all of it.

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Now some thinking and looking around for you.......have you found YOUR best source for chlorine/bleach? Some find it a their local pool store in rented jugs. It is close to 12% from most pool stores. Some find it at Walmart as their Greater Value bleach. It comes in at 8%.

The next thing to look for is the muriatic acid. It can be found at Lowes or Home Depot or the pool store. Make sure it is the 31% stuff. You can go ahead and buy this. Be thinking about where you are going to store it. It cannot be by the bleach. They do not play well together. It should be in a WELL ventilated area.....not by/under metal as it can cause rusting. I am thinking of the fence side of the garage? That would be out of the way and in the shade.

I think that is enough for now LOL

Kim

I will probably just go to Lowes for bleach (I will check the dates!) for a month until the SWCG kicks in. I think the garage side by the fence will be the best place to store the MA.

I didn't do the CYA test since I knew it would be zero!

So do y'all use the little blue kit, k1000, for anything except PH? Do you keep everything in the TF-100 box or a separate container for daily testing?

Some people use the little FC drop test kit as a check just to make sure there is some FC in the water. As in they drop some in the water and it changes color so there is chlorine.

I keep everything together in the box inside the house in a dark cabinet. It is easy to take out as needed. I have thought of putting the FC and PH tests in a little container but have not really felt the need as it seems to work like it is.

Here are some links to other ways to store the test kits. Kind of fun to see what every one does.

TF-100 Storage Box

Test kit storage

I do my testing inside under the stove hood as I have a very bright light there. I use a white plastic plate to holdup behind my PH test to help me with the color match. I pull the plate back and forth until the color matches.

Kim

Well, we are going to take the weekend and she how I feel about the deck. I really don't like it. It's much redder and purples than I remember the sample being. The PM called me last night around 5:30 so see how we liked it. I couldn't get to my phone in time and then he called hubby. Hubby told the PM that their work was excellent, but that the paver color was really a bit off from the sample he'd given us.

So all said, we are going to wait through the weekend to see if I still don't like it (I think hubby could live with it). If not, then I guess we will see how much it'll cost to take it out and replace it with a totally different material, probably travertine pavers.

Janny, no because the new we're slighter larger than the old so they wouldn't have interlocked. That had been the original plan.
We put in a call to the designer. We would like for him to come out and take a look. He hasn't called back but I'm guessing he's still on Spring break with his kids.

Marian, yes I will do a retest. Haven't gotten a chance yet. Spent yesterday helping my son pulling weeds, spreading compost and mulch in his flower beds and garden areas. His wife would have helped, but she's 8.5 months pregnant....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.