turn off salt water chlorine generator while SLAMming?

jnickie

May 21, 2024
Windsor, CO
So we opened our pool and water and all looked great. Then had a big birthday celebration with 40 kids in the pool, followed by 2 additional kid parties within a week. The water has since been looking cloudy and despite shocking, I can't seem to get the chlorine to hold. The water actually has cleared up and looks pretty good. Have been reading and trying to do the SLAM process, but also work outside the home and am away from the pool 10-12 hours most days, so can't really test multiple times a day. I have been testing 1-2x/day and adding shock, w/ plan to add free chlorine this evening (after reading on this site). Question - why is it recommended to turn off salt water chlorine generator while SLAMming the pool? (I was assuming I should turn up the output?) . I will also re-test CYA to be sure this is where it needs to be.

Thanks for your help

I have been testing 1-2x/day and adding shock, w/ plan to add free chlorine this evening (after reading on this site). Question - why is it recommended to turn off salt water chlorine generator while SLAMming the pool? (I was assuming I should turn up the output?) . I will also re-test CYA to be sure this is where it needs to be.
I think it's more than reasonable to use the SWCG during SLAM provided you understand what it's doing. Many people might be confused, so the instructions are such to avoid confusion.

The only time it must be off is during an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test as it would obviously skew the results.

Reactions: therealJBT