Trouble raising FC...

Apr 23, 2017
Las Vegas
I have a small 150g hot tub (pH 7.2, TA 90, CYA 45), recently changed the water (and used ahh-some), water looks and smells sparkly clean, but my FC is already stuck at ZERO while my Total Chlorine is off the charts high (10+).

It was my understanding that I need to just "shock" the water by slowly adding pure liquid chlorine (10% Sodium Hypochlorite), while the pumps running, until I can get my FC to budge, is that correct? That's what I've been doing, but my FC still isn't moving...

How long does it take before the FC should "show up" when testing (hours, days?). Perhaps I need to give it more time after adding?

Thanks for any advice!

I have a small 150g hot tub (pH 7.2, TA 90, CYA 45), recently changed the water (and used ahh-some), water looks and smells sparkly clean, but my FC is already stuck at ZERO while my Total Chlorine is off the charts high (10+).

It was my understanding that I need to just "shock" the water by slowly adding pure liquid chlorine (10% Sodium Hypochlorite), while the pumps running, until I can get my FC to budge, is that correct? That's what I've been doing, but my FC still isn't moving...

How long does it take before the FC should "show up" when testing (hours, days?). Perhaps I need to give it more time after adding?

Thanks for any advice!
How are you testing TC of 10+ with the K2006 kit?

I've tested with both a taylor kit and my Aquacheck 7 strips (they are very accurate). I've verified the tests several times. When I test the strips in a cup of spa water + some liquid chlorine, the FC is indeed detected. However as soon as I dump the liquid chlorine in my spa, run the pump for 10min, then test, FC is always zero.

I've slowly added about 8oz of pure liquid chlorine so far, do I just need to keep dumping it in until the number budges? Should I be worried that the high TC will damage the components?

I've tested with both a taylor kit and my Aquacheck 7 strips (they are very accurate). I've verified the tests several times. When I test the strips in a cup of spa water + some liquid chlorine, the FC is indeed detected. However as soon as I dump the liquid chlorine in my spa, run the pump for 10min, then test, FC is always zero.

I've slowly added about 8oz of pure liquid chlorine so far, do I just need to keep dumping it in until the number budges?
Are you aware the strips bleach out when the FC is too high? What does your Taylor kit say the CYA and FC are? TC is a useless number. We need a FC and a CC number.

When adding my two scoops of R0870 the sample wasn't turning pink, which told me (along with the negative results on the test strips) that my FC was zero. This Taylor kit is several years old, do these reagents go bad?
The reagents do expire After two years. So are you saying you added the powder and it doesn’t turn pink and then you add five drops of the other reagent and then it turns pink which then requires another 20 drops to make it go clear again?

Last edited:
Reactions: Donldson
"1-2 year lifespan", yikes. I think I got this kit back in 2017... Ok looks like I need to order some new reagents before we go any further...

Where is the best/cheapest place to get them? It seems like the only ones I ever use is FC/TC...

"1-2 year lifespan", yikes. I think I got this kit back in 2017... Ok looks like I need to order some new reagents before we go any further...

Where is the best/cheapest place to get them? It seems like the only ones I ever use is FC/TC...
The TF-100 is the best for the money. Tftestkits.net

Note that TC is not a real thing. Its just the FC and CC summed together. You should be testing FC, CC, CYA, pH pretty regularly in a tub. Im not super knowledgable on tubs though.

Reactions: JoeSelf