TF-Pro Kit: How to measure chlorine daily with comparator block

May 4, 2024
Queen Creek, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I’m on day 2 of using the TFP method, and am seeking help for keeping my pool’s chlorine level where it should be. What I’m learning seems contradictory.

Concerns:
The TFP-recommended TF-pro kit comes with a Taylor 9781 comparator block that measures chlorine levels up to 5ppm. However, according to the app, an ideal CYA level is 45 which means the chlorine range should be 4-8ppm with a target of 6ppm.

The TF-pro kit’s included instruction card say to test chlorine daily using the comparator block. This is seemingly impossible given the block doesn’t test chlorine that high. In practice, my CYA is higher at 60(ish?) so that makes following that instruction card even less feasible.

My Questions
How often do you measure chlorine and what testing method do you use? Why does the testing kit include instructions and materials for daily chlorine below TFP’s target levels? Ultimately, am I misinterpreting the TFP method as it relates to chlorine?

Thanks!

Pool details: 15,000 gallons, plaster finish, Phoenix area, using liquid chlorine only for the last 2 days.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!
The OTO comparator block is not really designed to measure FC accurately. It is more of a yes/no indicator of TC in the water.
I suggest while learning your pool water chemistry characteristics, you test FC using FAS-DPD and pH daily. Enter that data into Poolmath and store the data. Test TA weekly. CH and CYA monthly.
I suggest you read through Pool Care Basics - Trouble Free Pool and even look at a few of our videos TFP-TV - Trouble Free Pool

Reactions: MyBikeIsAwesome
I’ve never been able to use the comparator block due in part to my OCD! Solely use the FAS-DPD now every two days since I know my pools chemical behavior. Get a magnetic stirrer from

I have the TFP Pro test kit and never have to take out the magnetic stirrer from the case to test which saves me even more time testing FC, CC, TA & CH.

For PH, I use a digital PH reader. I keep three small Tupperware containers with the 4.0/6.86/9.18 recalibration powder & distilled water that I use monthly to ensure the PH reading is accurate.

Those two items will make accurately testing the pool daily a 5 minute or less process.

I've never worked out the exact number of tests, but the FAS/DPD reagents are enough for like 100 tests or so - for $25 - I figure thats a quarter/day for 100% peace of mind on my FC levels.
I don't check CC every day, or PH (or TA/CH/CYA or Salt for that matter). I typically do a full set once a week.

BTW - when people think the strips are cheap and convenient, I usually point out that the 'good' strips are like $15 for 50...which is a nickel more per test...and 90% of what it tests isn't really going to change day-to-day anyway (and if it did, you'd never be able to tell from the strip)

Last edited: