Smiffy

May 6, 2024
Melbourne
We have an inground spa. The jets run on their own dedicated pump separate from the filter pump. Water gets drawn from the spa's base, into the pump and pushed out the spa jets. A closed system but for the air inlet valve to agitate the water.
When I close the air inlet all but one of the jets stops aerating. One how ever keeps pulsating jets of air bubbles. Not intense like when it's fully open but enough to be clearly visible as a puff of bubbled air.
To me, as this is meant to be a closed system when the air inlet in closed, that indicates it's drawing a small amount of air in from somewhere else. Which means if air can get in, water can get out.
The nozzle on the spa jet was stuck and the pool guy after some serious effort managed to remove it. I'm concerned in doing that he's managed to loosen a join in the pipe work to allow air to get in the system.
Anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks

We have an inground spa. The jets run on their own dedicated pump separate from the filter pump. Water gets drawn from the spa's base, into the pump and pushed out the spa jets. A closed system but for the air inlet valve to agitate the water.
When I close the air inlet all but one of the jets stops aerating. One how ever keeps pulsating jets of air bubbles. Not intense like when it's fully open but enough to be clearly visible as a puff of bubbled air.
To me, as this is meant to be a closed system when the air inlet in closed, that indicates it's drawing a small amount of air in from somewhere else. Which means if air can get in, water can get out.
The nozzle on the spa jet was stuck and the pool guy after some serious effort managed to remove it. I'm concerned in doing that he's managed to loosen a join in the pipe work to allow air to get in the system.
Anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks
Could be he damaged the sealing surface in the jet. Spa jets have a separate fitting that's back inside the wall. Usually has a parallel loop of water separate from the air loop. Water flows through a pipe to the nozzle through a pipe in the center of the fitting and air is drawn in through the annular space around the water. So water and air piping is "connected" at each fitting. I would guess it's a leaking spa jet valve but I wouldn't worry too much about water leakage. You should have a loop in the air supply that will prevent it draining back out. Are you actually losing water?

Chris