Mikey0214

Oct 31, 2021
PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I’m pretty sure it’s probably the check valve but was wondering what everyone’s thoughts are.

We opened the pool a week ago. The equipment runs during the day and is off at night. The last two days I’ve been up before the pool equipment turned on and I’ve noticed the spa drained, which I would assume drained back into the pool. Yesterday morning I noticed the water in the spa was just above the bottom of the tiles which is unusual compare to last year so I paid attention this morning. This morning I noticed the water was to the top of the spa jets.

Tonight, I turned the equipment off about an hour ago and it appears to have dropped a little less then 1/2 an inch. There are two check valves, one on the pipe labeled spa jets and one on the pipe coming out of the heater. I’ll try to include photos.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_8454.jpeg
    IMG_8454.jpeg
    555.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8455.jpeg
    IMG_8455.jpeg
    583.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8456.jpeg
    IMG_8456.jpeg
    282.9 KB · Views: 6
Mike,

If the spa drains down to just below the jets, then about 85% of the time it is a dirty or bad check valve on the spa jet line.. This has nothing to do with the check valve by the heater..

If the spa drains down well below the jets then that is normally some kind of issue with the spa drain leaking or more likely the Intake valve allowing water to exit the Spa drain.

Nothing to do with your spa, but what speed to do have to run your pump?? You have got everything wide open on your return side. I would assume that takes a lot of water.. But I have been wrong about 50 times in the just last couple of hours.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Mike,

If the spa drains down to just below the jets, then about 85% of the time it is a dirty or bad check valve on the spa jet line.. This has nothing to do with the check valve by the heater..

If the spa drains down well below the jets then that is normally some kind of issue with the spa drain leaking or more likely the Intake valve allowing water to exit the Spa drain.

Nothing to do with your spa, but what speed to do have to run your pump?? You have got everything wide open on your return side. I would assume that takes a lot of water.. But I have been wrong about 50 times in the just last couple of hours.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.
Here is a photo of it this morning, right above the spa jets. Using a flashlight, I can look in the window of the check valve on the spa jet line and see debris settled at the bottom. For the life of me I can’t see the flapper opening or closing when I turn the equipment on and off.

Where is the “intake valve that would be allowing water to exit the spa drain”?

It’s definitely backfilling into the pool. I placed blue painters tape at the water line in the spa and in the pool right when I shut down the equipment. Spa level is slowly dropping and pool level is slowly increasing.

I have it at 90% and 45% a few different times throughout the day, I’ll include a photo of this as well. I was never instructed on what % to run the equipment on and for how long. If you can offer me some guidance on that I would truly appreciate it. Also, I was never instructed on where to set the valves to. Only thing I really move is switching between the water pulling from the skimmer or just the main drain if I’m brushing or if there are a lot of debris on top of the water. Guidance on this would be greatly appreciated too!
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_8439.jpeg
    IMG_8439.jpeg
    498.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8457.png
    IMG_8457.png
    72.9 KB · Views: 5
Mike,

I would open the check valve and clean it out and reinstall the check valve and see if that fixed it. If not, I'd buy an OEM replacement for the flapper assembly..

Most spas drain down to just below the jets, but.. it really depends on the water level in the spa.. it will only drain down to the same level as the pool. Some law about gravity... :mrgreen:

How many wall returns do you have ?? What does the flow feel like coming out of them?

How well does your spa spillover work?

How well are your skimmers working?

I'd stay with the 45% but change the 90% to 60%..

Do you have a pressure side cleaner connected all the time?

If you are happy with the way things work, then there is no reason to change. But, if something is not work as well as you'd like, we might be able to adjust things.. In the big picture, why have a valve if you are just going to put the valve in the middle.. You could just use a PCV "T" and save the price of each valve... :)

Thanks,

Jim R.

Mike,

I would open the check valve and clean it out and reinstall the check valve and see if that fixed it. If not, I'd buy an OEM replacement for the flapper assembly..

Most spas drain down to just below the jets, but.. it really depends on the water level in the spa.. it will only drain down to the same level as the pool. Some law about gravity... :mrgreen:

How many wall returns do you have ?? What does the flow feel like coming out of them?

How well does your spa spillover work?

How well are your skimmers working?

I'd stay with the 45% but change the 90% to 60%..

Do you have a pressure side cleaner connected all the time?

If you are happy with the way things work, then there is no reason to change. But, if something is not work as well as you'd like, we might be able to adjust things.. In the big picture, why have a valve if you are just going to put the valve in the middle.. You could just use a PCV "T" and save the price of each valve... :)

Thanks,

Jim R.
If I turn the equipment off and open the check valve to clean the debris out, will water be flowing out of the opening like a faucet? Any guidance on how to properly do this? Turn off equipment first, etc.?

Are most of the spas draining like that regardless if there is an issue with the check valve or only if there is an issue with the check valve?

The spa jets always feel weak when it’s in pool mode with water flowing over the spa into the pool. I have two wall returns in the pool on one plumbing line and three floor returns all on another plumbing line. The wall returns in the pool work well. I pour my chemicals in front of them and see if get dispersed quickly. The floor returns are on the weaker end.

Spa spill over works well when the pump is running high. When it’s on 45% it is not spilling over and just trickling over the edge.

Skimmers work well.

Any particular reason to switch from 90% to 60%.

I have the side pressure cleaner hooked up and in the pool all the time but I only use it occasionally as I seen fit.

@Jimrahbe

This was this morning when I just stepped outside to check.

Water level in the spa lowered to right above the jet. Water level in the pool raised about 1/4 of an inch. So it’s definitely draining back into the pool.

Attachments

• IMG_8458.jpeg
    IMG_8458.jpeg
    749.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8459.jpeg
    IMG_8459.jpeg
    623.7 KB · Views: 2
Mike,

If you open the check valve, the pump can not be running... If you open it when the spa water is low, I would expect some water to flow out, but it really depends on your plumbing.. Just take it out, clean it up and stick it back in. Make sure it goes back in the same direction it came out.

The whole purpose for the check valve is to prevent the spa from draining down when the pump is off..

The only reason to reduce 90% to 60% is to save a little on the electrical bill..

The spa jets should feel weak when in the pool mode.. The only reason any water goes to the spa, when in the pool mode, is to cause the spa to spill over into the pool. This is the only way your spa ever gets any fresh chlorinated water.

It makes sense that your spillover works better at 90%.. This is because (I assume) you have a small VS pump, which can't provide enough water for all the things connected to your Return valve at the same time.

All in all, I don't think you would gain much if you adjusted your valves. You are better off just leaving the valves the way they are. As long as your wall returns and skimmers are working well, that is the important part.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Mikey0214
Mike,

If you open the check valve, the pump can not be running... If you open it when the spa water is low, I would expect some water to flow out, but it really depends on your plumbing.. Just take it out, clean it up and stick it back in. Make sure it goes back in the same direction it came out.

The whole purpose for the check valve is to prevent the spa from draining down when the pump is off..

The only reason to reduce 90% to 60% is to save a little on the electrical bill..

The spa jets should feel weak when in the pool mode.. The only reason any water goes to the spa, when in the pool mode, is to cause the spa to spill over into the pool. This is the only way your spa ever gets any fresh chlorinated water.

It makes sense that your spillover works better at 90%.. This is because (I assume) you have a small VS pump, which can't provide enough water for all the things connected to your Return valve at the same time.

All in all, I don't think you would gain much if you adjusted your valves. You are better off just leaving the valves the way they are. As long as your wall returns and skimmers are working well, that is the important part.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Replacing the check valve seems to have solved the problem. The bottom of the flap might have looked a little worn out but nothing crazy noticeable.

I’m going to order a few and keep them on hand in case the company ever stops making them or goes out of business.

Reactions: Jimrahbe