Solar Cover Changing Pool Chemistry (Hello from Summer)

cam2000deluxe

Feb 21, 2022
Auckland, New Zealand
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi There,

Introductions: We're a family in NZ with a small vinyl pool since we moved about 5 years ago. Took a while but I had come to an understanding with the pool, the pH tended to go up and Alkalinity tended to go down absent treatment...so adding dry acid and some baking soda every so often balanced it out. We use liquid chlorine, with multi tabs for the CYA in the summer (now!).

We got a solar cover before christmas and the chemistry has changed somewhat: Initially pH was far more stable and fewer chemicals were required. Taking a pool sample to Pool Doctor yesterday had pH 7 and FAC over 10! Without having added much recently. What's more they said phosphates were a high (never happened before) and gave / sold me a phosphate reducer (lanthanum Cl) although water has been consistently clear lately).

Adding, this LaCl has now produced a slight cloudiness which is annoying! Not super milky just a slight cloudiness too small for the filter...so I added a small amount of clarifier I had lying around and ran the pump for a while. Have also pulled the cover off today to see if the pH comes up a wee bit from outgassing...

Still a little cloudy. Looking forward to joining this community, fixing this pool and relearning it, and teaching the pool store whats what!

Cheers

Cameron

Welcome to TFP! This is a great community of pool owners helping other pool owners. There is no ulterior motive on this site, unlike pool stores who want to sell you something that you don’t need. Which you have already experienced with a phosphate remover.

The biggest downfall from pool store tests are they are not the most reliable. Being in NZ you may be able to obtain a good test kit from Clear Choice Labs. I think that is in Australia but it will be an easier source than trying to get a pool water chemistry test kit from the U.S. Ask questions from the board, the mods and experienced posters can guide you. Welcome…

Last edited:
Reactions: newdude
Thanks!

I actually have an inherited Taylor K-2005c kit , although the reagents may be a little old. Tested yesterday: FAC 3-6, pH 7.2. TA 80-90, CYA 30-40 so not too bad. Pool Doctor here use some type of digital instrument that measures all parameters from a single test volume...will attempt to find out what they're using. Never considered the idea that their number might be worse than the home Taylor kit! I'll see if I can source the Taylor reagents somehow here in NZ, actually looks like Amazon will ship from the US!