Should pool be uncovered when running SWG?

jojagard

Oct 30, 2022
Lake Stevens, WA
I have an Intex solar pool cover, blue bubble-wrap type, for my 16' round, above ground, Intex pool. I also recently purchased an Intex SWG (model QS1200 for up to 15,000-gal pool). I've only been needing to run the SWG two hours daily to maintain a proper free chlorine level in my small pool (my Intex sand filter pump runs six hours daily). I understand that gases are created when chlorine is added to pool water, and that the pool should not be covered during this process, in order to allow the gases to be released into the atmosphere.
My question: Is it OK for me to leave my solar pool cover on if I run my SWG daily, i.e., will the few small holes in the cover and small gaps between the cover edge and pool wall be sufficient to allow the gases to be safely released? Of course, removing the cover for multiple hours every night negates its insulating benefit. I also don't have an automatic pool cover removal device, so it's a bit of a pain to remove it and replace it. Finally, I try to run the SWG after dark in order to minimize chlorine loss due to UV light exposure, so I would have to be replacing the cover very late every night. Bottom line: If I can't keep the cover on while running the SWG, it just doesn't seem to be worth the trouble to remove and replace it daily.
Privacy Statement

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.

There is no problem keeping the pool covered while running the SWG.

The hydrogen gas a SWG produces is not a problem.

Manage your pool cover the same way you did before the SWG.

Welcome to TFP.

There is no problem keeping the pool covered while running the SWG.

The hydrogen gas a SWG produces is not a problem.

Manage your pool cover the same way you did before the SWG.
Thank you. A local pool store tech had told me that I should leave the pool uncovered for a few hours after adding liquid chlorine, so I assumed that the same would be true when adding chlorine via the SWG. Is there a basic difference between the two methods? Isn't the chemical reaction that generates the hydrogen gas the same, either way?

Thank you. A local pool store tech had told me that I should leave the pool uncovered for a few hours after adding liquid chlorine, so I assumed that the same would be true when adding chlorine via the SWG. Is there a basic difference between the two methods?

Addition of Liquid Chlorine adds a lot at one time and causes carbon dioxide gas to be released. With a cover on the carbon dioxide will stay in the water and can increase your TA.

Isn't the chemical reaction that generates the hydrogen gas the same, either way?

Chemical reaction is very different. The SWG separates the hydrogen from Oxygen that make up water (H2O) when converting salt to chlorine.

The hydrogen gas will find its way out of the water with the cover on.

Reactions: jojagard
Addition of Liquid Chlorine adds a lot at one time and causes carbon dioxide gas to be released. With a cover on the carbon dioxide will stay in the water and can increase your TA.

Chemical reaction is very different. The SWG separates the hydrogen from Oxygen that make up water (H2O) when converting salt to chlorine.

The hydrogen gas will find its way out of the water with the cover on.
OK, that makes sense! Thanks again for your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.