Should I use pea gravel in my sand filter?

Sorry to bump an old thread but it was never really answered. I'm putting in a 27" hayward that doesn't say anything about pea gravel but I've seen several posts that either recommend it or say it certainly wouldn't hurt.

I bought a couple bags of: Shop Rock City 0.5-cu ft Pea Gravel at Lowes.com

It's regular landscaping pea gravel. For those that used pea gravel, is this the kind of product you used or should I be looking for something more specialized?

Thanks!

Be aware that it will make it impossible to deep clean your sand filter if you put varying sizes of sand in your filter. Use only #20 silica sand.

I’m not sure about the gravel, but I’m curious.....

If the manufacturer is not recommending it, why are you pursuing this? What’s the motivation?

I put 4000 lbs 2 sizes of gravel & 4000 pounds of #20 silica in a filter last week...

Poolguy, if you didn't put any gravel into the municipal filter, how much sand would you then install? Basically looking for the ratio of pea-gravel to sand. however, since the muni one is much bigger than what the OP, does the ratio go up or down for the size of the sand filter re how much gravel you would install?

One person asked why install small stones? I assuming it displaces the volume of sand the filter would otherwise require, which is probably over time a cost savings. However, does the less finer material impede the ability to filter better? It would seem like the resistance to the pump would be somewhat less that would reduce the pressure gauge of the filtering system, yes?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There are a ton of posts on the (supposed) benefits of using pea gravel up to the laterals, google "pea gravel sand filter" and if you're ocd like me you'll spend hour(s) down the rabbit hole trying to determine if that juice is worth the squeeze. I've decided it is, but I'm not sure if regular old pea gravel as you'd find in $3, 50lb bags at Lowes is sufficient.

Poolguy, if you didn't put any gravel into the municipal filter, how much sand would you then install? Basically looking for the ratio of pea-gravel to sand. however, since the muni one is much bigger than what the OP, does the ratio go up or down for the size of the sand filter re how much gravel you would install?

One person asked why install small stones? I assuming it displaces the volume of sand the filter would otherwise require, which is probably over time a cost savings. However, does the less finer material impede the ability to filter better? It would seem like the resistance to the pump would be somewhat less that would reduce the pressure gauge of the filtering system, yes?

No cost savings were involved.

The ratio would not carry over.
The gravel bed is to prevent obstruction & help distribution through the sand band.. this is system has 8” piping & there is a ladder built inside the filter, so it’s a different animal.

I presume you are doing a basic backyard pool, if so 100% sand will satisfy your needs.

The general consensus is <24", no real benefit, >30" definitely benefit. At 27" and 350lbs of media it makes laymen sense to make the system a bit more efficient distributing flow during backwashing.

Out of curiosity PoolguyinCT what kind of gravel is in your monster filters? Regular bulk pea gravel?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.