Boynton Beach, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Digital Nano+ PPC2
Finally an opportunity for a little bit of give back on this forum. With some support and encouragement from my friend @Jimrahbe I purchased this new Intelliflo3 VSF pump mostly because the previous model was infinitely backordered. I am so glad I did, so far I love this pump! Here is my review and a few pics:

I have used Intelliflo pumps at my previous home and came to love these pumps. Theres plenty of information on the site about Intelliflo pumps in general, so rather than bore everyone with every detail I focused mostly on the difference from my previous generation IntelliFlo:

Pros:
  • Efficiency: At approx. 1200 rpm this pump moves 22GPM in my pool and uses only 135 watts!!! I expect a huge energy savings over the Hayward I am replacing.
  • Ultra quiet: I am used to quiet with my old Intelliflo at my previous house but at 1200 rpm I have to touch this pump to know if it is on. It is near silent up until close to 2000 rpm
  • Mobile Friendly!! If you are not using other automation this utilizes either blue tooth or wifi to control via the Pentair Home app right out of the box. Connection/setup was super simple. Scan the QR on the pump, download the software and it guides you through everything. No more squatting down over the pump mounted control panel!! There is an external WiFi antenna built in and the reception was excellent! I was able to get my 2.4Ghz nearly as strong as I can inside my house. Even if you are using automation, this pump provides real-time status, information and alarms through the Pentair Home app.
  • Automation friendly: As expected, with a 2 wire hookup (not included) this hooks up to Pentair automation which overrides the unit controls. If you put the Pentair automation in service mode, the on-board pump logic/programming will take over again.
  • Price: With the Covid backlog expected to continue through the summer the price of this unit is about $1500 resale, less than what I could get an old Intellflo VSF/VF for.
  • Flexible: Accommodates from 1 1/2" all the way to 3" in/out piping. Comes with all the adapters for different sizes. You can buy optional relays and use this as a basic automation system and program remotely through the app.
  • Install: Easy peasy. Uses the twist on couplings for easy removal = no leaks. Very accessible high and low voltage connections from the top cover.
  • Alerts: Through the Pentair Home app you can receive alarms and notifications and you can also have your pool pro notified. The catch seems to be that your pool pro must be a pentair registered pool pro to show up in the list.

Cons:
I'm hard pressed to find flaws with this pump. My previous Intelliflo was not a VSF so not sure if this was always a limitation but my VSF unit doesn't translate utilization to RPM through the Pentair Home app, which is what I was used to from my previous Intelliflo. You can however still use RPM based programming from the Pentair Automation and it will translate. Instead this pump uses % utilization or GPM. Honestly, I am getting more comfortable using GPM anyway because everyone's piping/flow is different. If my filter gets dirty and slows the flow, this will adjust itself automatically if set to GPM.

Just got this installed yesterday so if I find any more cons I will add them but to me this thing is Dang near perfect.

Attachments

• IMG_6767.jpg
    IMG_6767.jpg
    497.4 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_6768.PNG
    IMG_6768.PNG
    32.9 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_6770.jpg
    IMG_6770.jpg
    563.4 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_6771.jpg
    IMG_6771.jpg
    486.5 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
Maverick,

Thanks for a great write up... :goodjob:

A couple of questions..

With the old IntelliFlo, you could tell if the pump was talking to the EasyTouch because the display would show.. "Display not active". Since the IntelliFlo3 has no display, can this test still be done? If so, what shows the pump is being controlled by the EasyTouch?

It says the basket is bigger. Is this something you noticed?

Just to see if I understand how it works... The pump does not show actual RPM, but if in the RPM mode will let you set a % of max RPM. When connected to an EasyTouch and ScreenLogic, the ScreenLogic display will show actually RPM. Is that correct? Or does it always show GPM as in your pic.?

Thanks again for your review.

Jim R.

Impressive... looks like a good way to go for my pool build if I end up Pentair. My brother went with the older model a couple years ago based on write ups and recommendations from experts here. He loves his pump as well - says it's way better built than his previous pump.

Chris

Reactions: MaverickFL
The IntelliFloXF VSF Variable Speed and Flow Pump (022056) is still available and it is also a good choice.

Maverick,

Thanks for a great write up... :goodjob:

A couple of questions..

With the old IntelliFlo, you could tell if the pump was talking to the EasyTouch because the display would show.. "Display not active". Since the IntelliFlo3 has no display, can this test still be done? If so, what shows the pump is being controlled by the EasyTouch?

It says the basket is bigger. Is this something you noticed?

Just to see if I understand how it works... The pump does not show actual RPM, but if in the RPM mode will let you set a % of max RPM. When connected to an EasyTouch and ScreenLogic, the ScreenLogic display will show actually RPM. Is that correct? Or does it always show GPM as in your pic.?

Thanks again for your review.

Jim R.
Hey Jim,

For this pump there are three buttons on top, you can probably just make them out in the pictures, so I attached a new pic. They are "connect" "On/Stop" and "Quick Clean" They have different colors to indicate different states and the connect button changes to magenta when its being controlled by automation. I put a picture of the color map that comes affixed.

As for the basket, yes, it's huge. Picture attached.

You are correct about the controls. From the Pentair home app main dashboard and from the individual device screen you see: GPM, Speed %, and estimated wattage consumption. From the screen logic you can see and set by either RPM or GPM (but not by % Speed). If you click the RPM/GPM button it will toggle and show one or the other as you set but at the bottom you can see both in terms of actual utilization of the pump.

Attachments

• IMG_6773.jpg
    IMG_6773.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_6772.jpg
    IMG_6772.jpg
    448.6 KB · Views: 180

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am not happy with my intelliflo. The latest version does not seem as beefy/powerful as the old one. Maybe it's because it's slightly more efficient than the 10 year old one, I dunno. I have no specific complaints as it functions fine and should last me many years. If I did it again tomorrow I'd be buying the Intelliflo 3.

I am not happy with my intelliflo. The latest version does not seem as beefy/powerful as the old one.
What is the part number?

The regular IntelliFlo VSF is P/N 011056.

Maybe you got the IntelliFlo i1 (P/N 011059) or the IntelliFlo i2 (P/N 011060)?

1665520781200.png

1665520821199.png
1665520974040.png

1665521059738.png
The below chart shows the total hp that each impeller takes.

Impeller......Total HP.

1665521213573.png

1665521246196.png
1665521278783.png

The regular IntelliFlo VSF is P/N 011056
I got the 011028, which should be identical with the exception of some software.

It is quieter than the last one but doesn't quite have the oomph. I don't even need the oomph, so it's no harm, just an observation.

What is the manufacturing date?
3/16/2021
What units is "Oomph" measured in?
8 years of playing with the old one, observing/feeling the returns, etc. My plumbing improved and I lost the heater. This pool should move alot more water than it does at any RPM range.

Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.