Recommendation for Automation

jbilliel

May 5, 2020
Connecticut
I have a 27' AGP with a single speed pump and I follow the TFP method of using liquid chlorine. This year I would like to transition to a VSP and install a salt water system. At the moment I have a manual timer that runs the single speed pump. It appears that I have a few different solutions that i would like some feedback on

Option 1 - Wire up VSP directly to breaker box and bypass the timer. Then install the iChlor to the timer and sync the timer to the VSP so the iChlor isn't on when the pump is not on
Option 2 - Wire up VSP directly to breaker box and bypass the timer. Then install the iChlor on its own power source and hook the iChlor to the pentair VSP to get a signal on when to turn the salt cell on or off
Option 3 - Buy a Pentair Intelliconnect. Wire up VSP directly to breaker box and bypass the timer, install the iChlore on its own power source and connect them both to the Intelliconnect

Ignoring price for a moment, I am assuming that option 3 is best, followed by 2 and then 1?

I was going to buy a pentair superflow vs the Intelliflo. Let me see if there is a similar option with the SuperFlo
IChlor Smart Sense only works with IntelliFlo pumps, not Superflo.

I like option 3 also, but since you're not using the "Smart Sense" technology for the iChlor SWCG, go with the better IntelliChlor (IC20, IC40, or IC60. I'm not sure SuperFlo pumps work with RS-485 protocol, so you would need to connect the pump to IntelliConnect via relays. Not the best way to control a pump.

Have you considered the new IntelliFlo3 pump with the relay control board. This would provide control of the pump and the SWG via the Pentair app without the need for the IntelliConnect.

The other option is to wire the pump directly to the breaker and use the timer to control the SWCG.

I'm not sure SuperFlo pumps work with RS-485 protocol,

The SuperFlo VS, Supermax VS, and WhisperFlo VST pumps manufactured after 11/20/2020 with RS-485 communication can digitally communicate with IntelliCenter, IntelliSync, EasyTouch, and IntelliTouch systems.

so you would need to connect the pump to IntelliConnect via relays.
Intelliconnect only has two relays.