Question on upgrading Compool cp3810 to EasyTouch and ScreenLogic as it pertains to pumps

Doc,

There is only one com port, but several difference devices can be connected to it at the same time. That is how it works.

Are you saying your old remote is working? If so, I am surprised, as I thought it would not... :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Doc,

There is only one com port, but several difference devices can be connected to it at the same time. That is how it works.

Are you saying your old remote is working? If so, I am surprised, as I thought it would not... :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.
No, I removed the old Compool CP3810 indoor control panel and installed the EasyTouch Indoor Control Panel 8. I hadn't thought you could just shove more wires into the COM port, but guess I was wrong. I had thought there were 2 COM ports because there's the 4 screw wire connector, and the phone jack on the board, but I guess they just piggyback anyway. All hooked up and so far things look ok with ScreenLogic. Still putting things together and doing a water change while I'm at it. Thanks.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
hadn't thought you could just shove more wires into the COM port, but guess I was wrong.
Doc,

Think of it this way.. You have many houses on the same street, but each house has is own address. That is exactly how the
RS-485 bus works..

Thanks for clearing up the remote issue, makes more sense now. :goodjob:

It gets awkward when you try to cram too many wires in the same connector.. They do make an expander card, or you can just wire nut everything together and then just connect jumpers to the com port connector.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Doc,

Think of it this way.. You have many houses on the same street, but each house has is own address. That is exactly how the
RS-485 bus works..

Thanks for clearing up the remote issue, makes more sense now. :goodjob:

It gets awkward when you try to cram too many wires in the same connector.. They do make an expander card, or you can just wire nut everything together and then just connect jumpers to the com port connector.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Got everything hooked back up, and the jets do seem to work pretty well without the Booster, not sure if I'll add a 1hp to replace the 2hp or not just in case since it's already plumbed...if I don't I'll have to cap the line because it doesn't have a one way valve. I do have a ScreenLogic problem though. I can't find anywhere to actually turn on my filter pump in ScreenLogic. I can manually turn it on at the Control Board with the Filter button, or I can hit the up arrow (P) on my wired Indoor Remote to turn the system on, but there is no option in ScreenLogic to start and stop my filter pump from the phone or PC app. All of my accessories are working, ie Aux 1, 2, 3, which are Blower, Jets, and Spa Lights. The filter pump is connected to the Pump connection on the main board, but there's no Pump option in ScreenLogic. Any thoughts on this?

Turn POOL mode ON. Turning POOL mode on turns the filter pump ON.

Turn POOL mode ON. Turning POOL mode on turns the filter pump ON.
I don't have an option for pool mode currently. This is for a spa only, there is no pool, so my system is set up for Single Body operation (It's dual body by default for people who have a pool and spa, changed by moving a jumper on the board and resetting). For my system, on my wired Indoor Control Panel, operating in single body operation changes the buttons so the up arrow (P) which is normally for pool, is instead a Low Temp control, and the Spa button becomes a High Temp control. I have a High Temp and Low Temp option in ScreenLogic, but all that does is turn the Heater on and set the temps, does nothing for starting and stopping my pump.

OK.. Forget you have a Spa... just consider it a small Pool..

Just turn on the Pool mode and things should work just fine...

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi Jim,
I don't have pool mode in ScreenLogic, there's nothing to turn the pump on or off in the app for me. If I manually start it with the button on the control panel I can control everything with the app, but can't turn the pump off unless I physically hit the button again. Might have to call Pentair tomorrow or email their support.

Doc,

What does your little display show??

AUTO
Pool or Spa or blank????
Temp
Date.

When you set the system up as a single body system, did you set it up as a "Spa"? If so, then you will have to move the Pump/Filter relay connection from the Pool port to the Spa port.. otherwise the pump/Filter relay will never close. When you push the 'F' button you are closing the pump/filter relay.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Right now my EasyTouch display just shows Auto, then air temp and the date/time. When I put it in single body mode, it didn't ask me to set it up as anything, the instructions said it would just change the P button to Low temp and Spa button to High Temp. Right now I have my Filter Pump plugged into the PUMP relay, then I have Blower Aux 1, Jets Aux 2, Spa Light Aux 3. Nothing is plugged into the SPA relay.
image1.jpeg
image0.jpeg
image0.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Doc,

Sorry I lost track of where we are.. :cry:

I know that this system is for controlling your spa, but since your spa has its own equipment, it will need to run x hours a day to keep the spa sanitized and clean.. Does not need the heater..

This means that you should schedule Pool for X hours a day.. How did you do it with the old automation system??

I don't think I would have set it up as a single body system.. If you set it up as a pool/spa system, you could run it in the pool mode just for circulation and then select the spa mode when you wanted the use the spa and heater.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ok, so if I go back to 2 body mode by moving the jumper and resetting, I would still keep my filter pump plugged into the PUMP relay, then set up the Pool mode schedule for circulation and when I hit SPA I can set my Spa temp etc with nothing plugged into the SPA relay?

when set up the Pool mode schedule for circulation and when I hit SPA I can set my Spa temp etc with nothing plugged into the SPA relay?
Doc,

Yes..

If you plug something into the spa relay port, it will turn on the relay anytime you are in the spa mode.

There may be other ways to do this, but I believe this will be the simplest one.

Thanks,

Jim R.