Westport, CT
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Summer is coming and I had my regular service come and open the pool and dump in all the chemicals they normally do. Still, after more than a week the FC= 10, pH= 6.7, TA= 40, and the CYA= 55. I'm concerned the chlorine is taking too long to come down. Should I add anything or just wait it out?? BTW pool is 20' x 40' and the water was about 70 degrees. Thanks!

Summer is coming and I had my regular service come and open the pool and dump in all the chemicals they normally do. Still, after more than a week the FC= 10, pH= 6.7, TA= 40, and the CYA= 55. I'm concerned the chlorine is taking too long to come down. Should I add anything or just wait it out?? BTW pool is 20' x 40' and the water was about 70 degrees. Thanks!
The pH of 6.7 is the only thing to worry about.

Thank you all for the help! I guess I won't worry about the FC too much but I need to get the pH up. My plan is to throw in a few boxes of baking soda. I found the grocery store is more economical than the pool store for that. Since you asked I'm pretty sure the pool service uses Taylor test kit but I tested the water myself to get the numbers, with a Taylor FAS-DPD kit.

Reactions: mommytotwins
Thanks for posting this.
My chlorine levels have been high for over a week.
We have gotten multiple days of rain this week and FC is down to 7. I was thinking that was too high.
I’m struggling to get my P.H. & alkalinity up. Yesterday it was still less than 7.0 after 6lbs of baking soda. Could the chlorine levels be zapping the ph?

Baking Soda = big TA change, small pH change

Borax = Big pH change, small TA change

Washing Soda = big pH change, big TA change. Probably more TA change than you want

Thanks for posting this.
My chlorine levels have been high for over a week.
We have gotten multiple days of rain this week and FC is down to 7. I was thinking that was too high.
I’m struggling to get my P.H. & alkalinity up. Yesterday it was still less than 7.0 after 6lbs of baking soda. Could the chlorine levels be zapping the ph?
Baking soda is to raise the TA, not pH. (See above)

Reactions: mommytotwins

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Guess I need the Borax! But my pool math app is saying I need 17lbs! That is a lot of Borax... I'm trying to get pH from 6.7 to 7.7 and the pool is about 37,500 gallons

Thank you all for the help! I guess I won't worry about the FC too much but I need to get the pH up. My plan is to throw in a few boxes of baking soda. I found the grocery store is more economical than the pool store for that. Since you asked I'm pretty sure the pool service uses Taylor test kit but I tested the water myself to get the numbers, with a Taylor FAS-DPD kit.
What exact Taylor kit are you using?
Add it to your signature.

Post a full set of current test results from your test kit.

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt
Water temperature

How was the posted pH of 6.7 measured?

I have been testing with my Taylor K2005 FAS-DPD kit. For the pH the color was off the scale (below 7.0) on the Comparator (very yellow) so I used an electronic pH tester I have for brewing to get to 6.7. For the other values I have FC= 10, pH= 6.7, TA= 40, and the CYA= 55- That is the only measurements I took so far. Water temp was about 75F.

I have been testing with my Taylor K2005 FAS-DPD kit. For the pH the color was off the scale (below 7.0) on the Comparator (very yellow) so I used an electronic pH tester I have for brewing to get to 6.7. For the other values I have FC= 10, pH= 6.7, TA= 40, and the CYA= 55- That is the only measurements I took so far. Water temp was about 75F.
The Taylor K-2005 test kit doesn't have the FAS-DPD test.
Does your test kit have reagents R-0870 and R-0871?

If not, you can easily add them. This will allow much more accurate FC results than from the DPD trst in the K-2005.

Add your test kit to your signature.
Please post test results in the format I showed above as they are much easier to read vertically rather than horizontally.

Guess I need the Borax! But my pool math app is saying I need 17lbs! That is a lot of Borax... I'm trying to get pH from 6.7 to 7.7 and the pool is about 37,500 gallons
You dont. need to raise the pH to 7.7.

7.2 would be plenty and give you headroom for the pH to rise naturally over time as it always does.

I'll just go slow with the borax- not a huge rush to dive in the pool as the water is cold- but would like to use the spa, which is attached.

The Taylor K-2005 test kit doesn't have the FAS-DPD test.
proavia I double-checked and found I was wrong. I have the Taylor K-2006 test kit and have reagents R-0870 and R-0871.
FC= 10
CC= ?
pH= 6.7
TA= 40
CH= ?
CYA= 55
Salt= ?
Water temperature= 75F

Reactions: proavia and newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support