Pool being replastered after failed plaster one year ago. Advice.

ChadJ

Jan 28, 2016
Delray Beach, FL
Hi all. Last fall we had our pool replastered. This is the first time the pool had been replastered since it was built around 20 years ago. When the replaster was done in the fall, there was quite a bit of discoloration which further led to pitting. I am working with a reputable pool company, and they have been very responsive to my needs and have made multiple attempts to correct the issues with discoloration and pitting. They have agreed that the pool needs to be replastered, and they are coming out next week to drain the pool and begin the job. In a conversation with my main guy today, I learned that the process will basically be to add a bonding agent over the top of the existing plaster and put the new plaster on top with feathering into the tile line, so it is not as noticeable. My concern is whether the current plaster that is pitting badly needs to be removed beforehand or if it is fine to plaster over the top of it. Again, the company has been very agreeable and are standing behind their work, I just want to make sure there is not a major shortcut being taken here that will cost me down the line. I appreciate the knowledge and input of this group.

-Chad

Hi all. Last fall we had our pool replastered. This is the first time the pool had been replastered since it was built around 20 years ago. When the replaster was done in the fall, there was quite a bit of discoloration which further led to pitting. I am working with a reputable pool company, and they have been very responsive to my needs and have made multiple attempts to correct the issues with discoloration and pitting. They have agreed that the pool needs to be replastered, and they are coming out next week to drain the pool and begin the job. In a conversation with my main guy today, I learned that the process will basically be to add a bonding agent over the top of the existing plaster and put the new plaster on top with feathering into the tile line, so it is not as noticeable. My concern is whether the current plaster that is pitting badly needs to be removed beforehand or if it is fine to plaster over the top of it. Again, the company has been very agreeable and are standing behind their work, I just want to make sure there is not a major shortcut being taken here that will cost me down the line. I appreciate the knowledge and input of this group.

-Chad
If the plaster underneath is falling apart, then it’s not suitable to put new plaster over it. They really should chip it all out and start over. Maybe ask them what the extra cost would be and see if it’s agreeable.

You should have got a full chipout before the replaster last fall. Trying to put more plaster on a crumbling surface will not stop the problems.

You need a full chipout using flat, not pointed, chisels down to the gunite shell. Then a bonding coat should applied followed by new plaster. Then you have your new plaster on top of a solid surface.