Pentair Mastertemp 400 Board Issue

bashunov456

Feb 23, 2021
Houston, TX
Guys, I need some help with a frustrating situation.

My mastertemp 400 is 6 years old and always has worked great. Over the past year, the screen on the board would give out from time to time. Everything would work as normal but the screen was lit with no numbers showing up. When this happened, it would not allow me to shut off the heater unless I held the off button. One day, even holding the off button would not shut it off so I had to kill the power and finally order a new board and membrane.

I first ordered a cheap 100$ on on Amazon which worked fine for a little bit then it kept giving a error code of HLS on the back. I returned the board and the replacement worked for a little bit until a few days later, no power at all. I returned both of those boards and bought more expensive 200$ board on Amazon.

This 3rd board works great but after heating for a little while (sometimes 30 min sometimes 2 hours), it throws a "service heater" light with no other lights on the back of the board.

I am very frustrated and at a loss. Do I return the 3rd board and try a $500 Pentair board or could the problem be sometime else? I was thinking maybe there is a short that is messing up these boards? Where do I even start? What else could it be ?!

PS- I just pulled out and tested the thermal regulator which opens and closes as it should under hot water (then cold to shut).

Thanks in advance

Bite the bullet and buy a genuine Pentair MasterTemp board. Buy once, cry once.

Those knockoff boards do not work well and are troublesome. There is no way to diagnose what is going on if you don’t have genuine parts.

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.