Opening pool, no water entering plumbing system

thanold

Apr 19, 2021
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey all, thanks in advance, really appreciate all you do here, you have been a great resource. So, I am trying to open my pool this year without using a pool company. I have followed the opening pool procedure as outlined here. I have filled the pool up to the midpoint of the skimmers but an not seeing any water "passively enter the plumbing system'". I am not sure what to do next so that I can turn on the pump.

Hey all, thanks in advance, really appreciate all you do here, you have been a great resource. So, I am trying to open my pool this year without using a pool company. I have followed the opening pool procedure as outlined here. I have filled the pool up to the midpoint of the skimmers but an not seeing any water "passively enter the plumbing system'". I am not sure what to do next so that I can turn on the pump.
With an equipment pad above water level, you won't see any water entering any of the equipment on the equipment pad unless you add it. However, you should see water flowing into the bottom of the skimmer hole but that is about it.

You did remove all the plugs in the skimmer/returns correct?

BTW, which link are you referring to?

The full context is this:

"Once all the plugs are removed and valves are open, water will passively enter the plumbing system."

It means water will flow into those holes where the plugs were removed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks!

So equipment is above the pool. Make sure that there are no plugs in the bottom of the skimmer...so the pump can pull water.
You have two skimmers, so open the valve with the arm in the lower right of your picture.
Clean the mating surface for the cover on the pool pump.
Lubricate the pump cover o-ring with a silicone LUBRICANT (NOT SEALANT). Magic Lube II works great. Don't use a teflon/ptfe lubricant.
Fill the pump with water (this is important) it protects the pump seal.
Put the cover on the pump and start the pump.