NPT StoneScapes VS QuartzScapes

Jul 26, 2017
ENCINO
Hello All;
I recently started a total backyard remodel and I am at the stage that I need to make a decision on the plastering. We kept the pool the same and did not do any remodeling to its shape. It’s an older in ground pool built in the early 60’s. I re-pipped the one old copper return line to 3 PVC and added a vacuum line. We had to split the main drain line, which remained copper, so no salt system for us.
I have looked at different products and almost any pool plastering company I talk to represents either Pebble-Tech products or NPT and some offer both. I have been to the NPT showroom and I like the product line that they offer without the premium of Pebble-Tech pricing. The contractor I have chosen has been doing NPT products (StoneScapes / QuartzScapes) for many years and comes highly recommended by them, so I am confident about the applicator and so far I have seen one pool finish by them in QuartzScape in Midnight Blue color and it looked amazing. I am also considering the StoneScape Mini Pebbles in Tropics Blue because that is the darkest blue without going into the black. I am sure I would like that color as well even though I am told that the Mini Pebbles in Tropics Blue is much lighter than the QuatzScape Midnight Blue. I really like and enjoy the darker color considering that we used a lot of beige for pavers and for the coping. I also enjoy the smoothness of Quartz over Mini Pebble.
The price for Quatz and the Mini Pebbles are almost identical, But I read and do research and see that most people go with the pebble finish. Is it because Quartz has any disadvantage or perhaps does not last as long as the pebble finish?
The contractor tells me he prefers the pebble over Quartz because the Quartz color will fade easily if the water chemical is not correct at all time. Is that true??
I have a pool guy that comes once a week and I have used him for over 20 years so I know he knows his work.
What are your thoughts? Would I have an issue with color fading on the Quartz? Or should I play it safe and go with Mini Pebbles in the color that does not have the same pop as the quarts. I really enjoy the deep blue color without going into the black.
Your thoughts and feedback will be highly appreciated.

I have Quartzscapes that's only 3 weeks old, it's dark blue called Barbados Blue. My renovation thread has pics of the water color at the end of the thread. It's my understanding that the color is going to fade over the years regardless of water quality. You should also be aware that the color on a dark quartz is not going to be solid and uniform, there are going to be some color variations, search for "mottling" and "blotchy". I don't have experience with any of the pebble finishes myself, but there is also some fading of those materials also, because it is still plaster with stones mixed in, it just won't be as obvious due to the stones, so that finish is more consistence in appearance. The other issue mentioned with the pebble finishes is that some of the pebbles will start to wear off in time and that will not be uniform wearing. Water chemistry is important for the longevity of any finish, but it's not going to look the same in 10-15 years as it does new. I'm assuming based off the warranty for each finish that the pebble finishes are slightly more durable as they have a longer warranty, looks like 5 years for plaster, 7 years for quartz, 10 years for pebble.
My original plain white plaster was 17 years old when I replaced it and during the 13 years prior to me owning the pool, I'm sure it was not maintained properly. Many suggest to go feel a pebble finish pool for yourself, because some people complain about the roughness of the surface, I have not felt the mini-pebble, only the regular pebble. Pebble vs quartz price here was different by a couple thousand dollars, so it's cool that the price is closer for you! Browse around in the under construction section and you'll find more information on the different finishes and what people like and don't like about them.

I had the same concerns with our new pool build (finished the end of June 2017). I loved the midnight blue finish in online galleries but decided against it because I heard numerous people say imperfections were very noticeable with that color choice. We ultimately went with Tropics Blue minipebble from Stonesscapes and are VERY happy.

The color is medium blue that gets deeper as the day goes on. There is no Windex-y blue nor green tinge.

Reactions: Megram23
I had the same concerns with our new pool build (finished the end of June 2017). I loved the midnight blue finish in online galleries but decided against it because I heard numerous people say imperfections were very noticeable with that color choice. We ultimately went with Tropics Blue minipebble from Stonesscapes and are VERY happy.

The color is medium blue that gets deeper as the day goes on. There is no Windex-y blue nor green tinge.
Hi! We are very close having our pool finished and we still havent decided on a color. I have been leaning towards Tropics Blue, but also like Aqua White. Could you possibly post a picture of your pool? That would be so help! Thank you

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.