damanhb

Apr 20, 2024
Burnet,Tx 78611
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello first time pool owner here in Central Texas. Pool was completed back in October and I’ve been maintaining it myself since with the Pentair test kit that was given to us by Pb. Test kit looks exactly like the Taylor kit. Will purchase the Taylor kit when I’m done with this kit. So far so good but with raising temps I’m trying to get ahead of any future problems. Our pool is chlorine, just under 10k gallons with inline chlorine tablet dispenser. I’m using tablets with stabilizer Tri-Chlor. Current test kit shows ideal range for FC 1.5-3, TA 120-160 because of the type tablets I’m using. TFP shows ideal for FC to be 4-8 and TA to be 50-90. These are my current results. I do have a Taylor test kit for harness and cya. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3150.jpeg
    IMG_3150.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 9
Hey D and Welcome !!!!

Tabs are unsustainable, and quickly. Each 8 oz puck raises your CYA 3. Every 10 CYA needs proportionately more FC because it's bound in the CYA. The industry doesn't care to understand this and it's a never ending source if folks seeking us out. All lines on this chart are equal for sanitizing.

lc_chart.jpg

The industry FC recommendations are junk also. You may lose 4ppm or even 5, per day, with insane TX UV in the peak season. How are you going to maintain a 2, unless you're adding FC every hour of daylight ? Again, they don't know, or care. If you get swamped, they have tons of stuff to sell you for it.

Does your test kit have the Fas/DPD powder test for FC ? The block test is vague and doesn't go high enough for proper sanitizing. You'll have to add a Taylor K1515 if you don't have that part.

Have some reads and ask away with any questions.

Pool Care Basics
FC/CYA Levels
PoolMath
Test Kits Compared

Reactions: damanhb
Hey D and Welcome !!!!

Tabs are unsustainable, and quickly. Each 8 oz puck raises your CYA 3. Every 10 CYA needs proportionately more FC because it's bound in the CYA. The industry doesn't care to understand this and it's a never ending source if folks seeking us out. All lines on this chart are equal for sanitizing.

View attachment 568983

The industry FC recommendations are junk also. You may lose 4ppm or even 5, per day, with insane TX UV in the peak season. How are you going to maintain a 2, unless you're adding FC every hour of daylight ? Again, they don't know, or care. If you get swamped, they have tons of stuff to sell you for it.

Does your test kit have the Fas/DPD powder test for FC ? The block test is vague and doesn't go high enough for proper sanitizing. You'll have to add a Taylor K1515 if you don't have that part.

Have some reads and ask away with any questions.

Pool Care Basics
FC/CYA Levels
PoolMath
Test Kits Compared
No my kit does not have the FasDPD test. I will go ahead and purchase that. Yeah my current kit only goes up to 3FC. My in-line chlorine tablet dispenser has a dial and it’s set around 1.75 currently.

My in-line chlorine tablet dispenser has a dial and it’s set around 1.75 currently.
Thats just a valve that's open X% and in no way 'dialing it in'. (Although technically it's a dial. :ROFLMAO:).

Besides the CYA quickly spiking to unsustainable levels, for folks running a schedule, the tab feeder sits there open with the pump off. The Cyanuric *acid* in the tabs leeches out and destroys the valve, and then anything else in the area. Many don't work as they did, after a season or two.

Check valves don't stop the acid from getting to the equipment, they only slow it down until the CV is destroyed too.

Imagine CYA like being cold and putting on a hoodie. Problem solved, right ? The CYA protected the FC so it lasted longer. (y) Except you put on another hoodie every 6 days. You can still move around with 2 or 3 hoodies but it soon becomes ridiculous trying to function with 27 hoodies on.

The industry tells you to add some stabilizer (CYA) or the FC burns off too quickly. Then they don't limit the 'hoodies' and keep giving you another one to put on. What's the problem ?. You're not cold anymore. See ? It worked. :brickwall:

Read up on the basics. We'll happily help guide you from there. From here on out, we ride together and we got you.

Here's our pools, on the cheap and easy. Nothing makes us happier than minting a new member to the club.

How Clear is TFP Clear?