New Pool Mesh Cover Questions

bjxds

Sep 27, 2023
Virginia
Our new pool install is almost complete. Some of their recommendations we have received during this build is in conflict from information on this site. So I would like to verify.

The builder originally recommended a mesh cover. I am sure their standard cover is entry level, they never mentioned there were different grades/quality mesh covers. I am not even sure what brand cover they install. I assumed Lathem, but some other equipment has been no name, ie Hayward/Pentair clones........

I would like the Lathem 9000 Mesh

The main reason we decided to go with a mesh vs solid cover is that the builder stated it is a safety cover, we could have it installed when we closed the pool and remove it when we open. Nothing else would be required. The mesh cover would allow rain to flow thru, it would hold the weight of any snow we get and when the snow melts, like rain it would simply drain thru the mesh into the pool. It is designed to allow water to drain into the pool, any excess would simply run over the pool on the deck, then run off the deck. When I asked about the sump tube filling up, they said the only maintenance that may be required is to check the sump, but they also said they have never seen an issue when the pool was full. The only purpose of the sump tube is to remove water if the pool needs to be drained.

A solid cover would require a pump, there may be some low spots in the cover and require the pump to be moved, as well as make sure the pump does not freeze.

I plan to follow TFP closing recommendations.

We are pretty much split down the middle here. Folks love their style either way. Some change teams after a few seasons, both ways.

The bottom line is we'll get about 2 ft of off season rain in the northeast. With a mesh cover, you'll have to pump the pool at times. With a solid cover, you'll have to pump the cover at times. Either way........ yeah. So it's your choice if you'd rather pump above or below.

Many non-TFPers let either cover go all winter. Solid covers risk damage to the cover from the weight. Mesh covers risk patio washout from overflow.

Apparently I was not clear with my questions/concerns:

1 If a mesh cover is installed and the pool is closed, what happens when the pool overflows?
2 Will the water from the pool overflow and run off the deck?
3 Is there a need to pump out water from under a mesh cover?
4 Is the sump tube only used if the pool need to be drained?

Apparently I was not clear with my questions/concerns:

1 If a mesh cover is installed and the pool is closed, what happens when the pool overflows?

I still drain my pool when closed. Usually at least once over winter. The pool will still overflow of course the mesh top doesn't seal.

You drain it as needed once a month or every other month so it doesn't overflow. Or you let it go and risk patio washout. By me, a great many just close it and either leave for FL, or pay it no mind, surprisingly with no harm. YMMV.
It will likely go under the deck.
Yes. Pop a corner and drop a submersible in. Your choice if you'd like to do 6 inches 4 times, a foot twice, etc. Obvs it changes per season with the weather.

I pay attention to the long term weather and drain right before a deep freeze becuase it's hands off until it completely thaws, which could be a month. Probably less of a concern for you in VA.

20240113_134827.jpg

Is it a fiberglass pool ? With a higher water table those will usually get a sump tube to drain off ground water. That's a seperate thing regardless of the cover and will need to monitored as well if you're getting one.

Reactions: PoolGate
You drain it as needed once a month or every other month so it doesn't overflow. Or you let it go and risk patio washout. By me, a great many just close it and either leave for FL, or pay it no mind, surprisingly with no harm. YMMV.

It will likely go under the deck.

Yes. Pop a corner and drop a submersible in. Your choice if you'd like to do 6 inches 4 times, a foot twice, etc. Obvs it changes per season with the weather.

I pay attention to the long term weather and drain right before a deep freeze becuase it's hands off until it completely thaws, which could be a month. Probably less of a concern for you in VA.

View attachment 602927

Is it a fiberglass pool ? With a higher water table those will usually get a sump tube to drain off ground water. That's a seperate thing regardless of the cover and will need to monitored as well if you're getting one.
can you explain the pump in bucket setup?

I always just dropped the sump pump to the bottom for draining but I found through experimenting that I was wasting all my salt and cya with stratified rain at the top. So I hung the pump in a bucket to get only top water. Even after draining for 2 hours, with some mixing going on, the top water was still testing zeros for FC and salt.

Once I was drained to where I needed, I sunk the pump to the bottom to stir what was left and redistribute the FC. I let the discharge hose run 20 mins each into the left, right, and center of the pool.

If the surrounding terrain has a sufficient gradient away from the pool you can syphon the water with a length of a garden hose. It requires a submersible pump just to initiate the flow and then the pump can be detached from the hose. That's what I do. I have to repeat this several times during the off season. I dont want to lower the water below 18 inches from the top of the coping - the cover can be destroyed by the weight of snow.

If the surrounding terrain has a sufficient gradient away from the pool you can syphon the water with a length of a garden hose. It requires a submersible pump just to initiate the flow and then the pump can be detached from the hose. That's what I do. I have to repeat this several times during the off season. I dont want to lower the water below 18 inches from the top of the coping - the cover can be destroyed by the weight of snow.

I do this it's set and forget too just put the end at the depth you want to drain. I don't use a pump to start I just suck on one end. 😉

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support