Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Hi Everyone!

I am in the process of getting a building permit for an inground pool. I am going to attempt portions of the work myself and then sub-contract out other parts like the plumbing and electrical. Does anyone have experience at being the contractoring homeowner and what happens next after the permit is approved?

Thanks in the advance for any help!

Typically after aquarium a permit comes hiring your first contractor, excavation.
I have everything lined up to start as soon as the permit is approved. Going with a vinyl pool and it's set to arrive on Friday. At what stages are the site visits by the permit reviewers like engineering and electrical?

Hey Volfam and Welcome !!!

Our good friends @setsailsoon and @Schwimmbad detailed their builds spectacularly. Read up below and they'll be around shortly.

Not too familiar with vinyl pools (Shotcrete/Gunite are what I’m familiar with) and geographic areas are different with stages of inspection.
First inspection is typically before the rough plumbing/electrical are covered up, the steel engineering is done prior to the permit being issued, again this is for Shotcrete pools being built on the west coast.

Reactions: Vol Family
Vol,

Extent of inspections can vary a lot with different local building departments. I would recommend you visit your specific building department and ask to speak with a plan reviewer in their department. They are usually very helpful and appreciate it when an OB takes the initiative to find out how the process works pro-actively rather than after there's an issue. Here's the high level order of the construction and inspection process I had to follow:
  • Submit complete application
  • AFTER approved permit is issued and before construction starts submit a Notice of Commencement (notarized)
  • After excavation, forming and steel schedule inspection. Here they mostly check rebar complies with design and best practices (min cover, bond attachments, bond wire spacing etc) plus pressure test of all piping
  • After gunite and mounting electrical and equipment there is an electrical inspection where they check everything from GFI breakers, wire size, bonding connections
  • Prior to fill with water we had to pass a child barrier inspection to comply with code
  • Preliminary grading inspection to check erosion control slopes and compliance for anything else to do with site drainage plan
  • Final inspection is a last look at everything but they focus on making sure all the conditions of the permit are satisfied such as contractors list (notarized), tie-back survey, and window/door alarms
I hope this is helpful.

Chris

Vol,

Extent of inspections can vary a lot with different local building departments. I would recommend you visit your specific building department and ask to speak with a plan reviewer in their department. They are usually very helpful and appreciate it when an OB takes the initiative to find out how the process works pro-actively rather than after there's an issue. Here's the high level order of the construction and inspection process I had to follow:
  • Submit complete application
  • AFTER approved permit is issued and before construction starts submit a Notice of Commencement (notarized)
  • After excavation, forming and steel schedule inspection. Here they mostly check rebar complies with design and best practices (min cover, bond attachments, bond wire spacing etc) plus pressure test of all piping
  • After gunite and mounting electrical and equipment there is an electrical inspection where they check everything from GFI breakers, wire size, bonding connections
  • Prior to fill with water we had to pass a child barrier inspection to comply with code
  • Preliminary grading inspection to check erosion control slopes and compliance for anything else to do with site drainage plan
  • Final inspection is a last look at everything but they focus on making sure all the conditions of the permit are satisfied such as contractors list (notarized), tie-back survey, and window/door alarms
I hope this is helpful.

Chris
So much help and greatly appreciated!

Vol,

I’m going through a diy vinyl pool install right now, my thread is either on page 1 or 2. When I applied for the permit, I was clear with the township that I would doing the install myself. They asked for all the information you would expect.

-Location of pool with distances to property lines.
-Same as above with pool equipment.
-Installation detail of pool with specifics showing concrete collar, backfill material, etc.
-equipotential grounding diagram.
-Fencing info (gates/latches/ect)
-My township had a few additional requirements that I had to meet as well.

The pool vendor (Royal) helped with getting me all the necessary pool detail drawings.

They will most likely also have inspection points to make sure everything looks right. I have one inspection point to verify bonding grid and electrical.

I’m still in the throes of my build. Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great 👍🏻
Sorry, No clue about the auto cover as most are usually to be installed by the manufacturer/dealer.
What brand is it?

Great 👍🏻
Sorry, No clue about the auto cover as most are usually to be installed by the manufacturer/dealer.
What brand is it?
It's a Coverstar from Latham. The dealer will be installing it as well as help from a local installer. Sounds like they have it figured out and ready to assemble it 🤞