New EVO 614i Robot Pool Cleaner Review

I bought mine from Marina last year. Worked great until this week. I'm currently in customer service heck with Leslie’s and any other local spots refusing to repair or even TOUCH it, the manufacturer insisting I go to Leslie’s, and oh yeah the hold time is 3 hours plus every time! One of the independent shops I called said they’ve been trying to get their name off of Jandy’s list of repair centers for years.

Clace,

Tell us more.. I don't think anyone has reported a failure yet, so tell us what does not work... :scratch:

The whole point of this website is to learn from each others experiences... Good or Bad.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Sure - according to the manual, it's a "communication error". Unit is receiving power, but doesn't start moving.
Actually this is the second issue I've had with this cleaner - during some rain last year, despite being off the ground and somewhat protected (obviously not enough), a lot of water got into the controller. But that was an easy fix, they just sent out a new controller.

Clace,

Thanks for the feedback.. :goodjob:

It will be interesting to see what happens to these robots over the next few years.. :)

So far, I have not had any issues and love it... But, like I said in my very first post, only time will tell how long they will last.

If, or maybe when, mine dies, everyone here will know the next day.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: newdude
Got 614iQ from Marina P&S, based mostly on this review and thread. No connection issues, it effortlessly downloaded latest firmware and updated itself on first connection. Worked very well, left behind just a few small pieces by the steps.

But its behavior at the waterline left me puzzled.
It gets to the waterline, spends maybe 3-4 seconds there but not moving at all along the line. It does seem to position itself at a small angle but not moving along, just scrubs a single spot and gets back. Is that how 614 supposed to work? Could anyone point to a video of 614 waterline business?

Also, I noticed that sometimes my 614 climbs up to the waterline and sometimes it just gets to the bottom of the wall and turns right back (the mode is always "bottom and walls"). It looks like its strategy is to position itself at all angles, with a very small change in the angle, and it remembers the angles at which it already cleaned the wall... Maybe it's why it doesn't think it needs to go along the waterline - as the line is just an extension of the wall and it thinks it knows which part of the wall it's cleaned already.. Make any sense? Has anyone figured the strategy?

T,

Any talk about any of these robots having an actual clue where they are in the pool is all Marketing and very little truth... :mrgreen:

My 614 does the same thing on the tile line.. It might move a couple of inches, maybe.. I think the idea is that over time it will "accidently" get it all.

Neither my Dolphin Robots, nor my EVO, will climb the wall on every pass.. My guess is it climbs the wall about once out of five cycles.

I guess my point is that I don't think there is anything wrong with your unit.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I emailed support concerning infrequent wall climbing but did not receive a reply. Marina contacted Fluidra on my behalf and here's their Director of Product Marketing's response:
"In floor/wall mode, the product will climb the wall 1 out of 4 times it encounters a wall. The product focuses cleaning efforts on the floor and covers where debris settles but periodically agitates debris at the waterline and on the wall to ingest and circulate debris for collection by the product, drains, and skimmers."

At first I thought my Evo wasn't climbing the walls anywhere near every 4 times. However, I did not initially consider the robot climbing the short tanning ledge was a normal wall by the robot. And since the robot often travels end to end with the tanning ledge on one end, it very frequently climbs up and on the ledge and infrequently climbs the other 3 walls. So after spending much time with this yesterday I concluded my Evo is climbing the walls every 4 times as designed. I tried both the standard and fine filters and it made no difference to wall climbing and waterline scrubbing.

Last edited:
Reactions: tartak and Jimrahbe
Thanks, Jim and DJ! So, Jim was pretty accurate with his estimate.

Compared to Dolphin's scrubbing along the waterline, Evo's seems a bit subpar. Not sure my diligent brushing of the tiles (a major reason I got Evo - to avoid much of it) at the waterline has helped much but I still don't see any deposits there, after 3 years. Can imagine it could be a problem though, maybe longer term.

T,

I don't think "scrubbing the tile line" is what either robot does. It is more about removing the floating stuff that sometimes stick to the tile as the water level goes down.. See post #367 for what Maytronics rep said..

Thanks,

Jim R.

It's gonna be interesting to see how this works on my zero edge and infinity wall combination... I hope it doesn't commit suicide accidentally?

Chris

1716650999873.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Falling Over GIF

Has anybody had any luck with support?

My Evo614i just goes in tiny circles now (both drive motors are working), and the diagnostics test indicates a communication error. It was purchased from Marina 10 months ago and they advised that I contact Leslie's pool. Leslie's wants nothing to do with it.

My Evo614i just goes in tiny circles now (both drive motors are working), and the diagnostics test indicates a communication error. It was purchased from Marina 10 months ago and they advised that I contact Leslie's pool. Leslie's wants nothing to do with it.
When I couldn't get any tech support, Marina Pools finally put me in contact with:

Selina Dudley
Sr. National Accounts Manager
[email protected]

Be sure to mention TFP and this thread. They've gotten a lot of sales from here.............and could lose a lot of sales if it turns out they can't/won't support their customers.

Please let us know how things turn out.

About 1 month ago Marina also told me Leslie's would provide warranty service on Evo robots and it was key to my purchase decision. Leslie's sells Evo robots on their website but checking this morning on the Aqua Products website it only shows 1 service center (not Leslie's) in NC. This is very concerning and hopefully Fluidra/Polaris/Aqua Products/Leslie's/Marina gets this sorted out soon. Maybe it's hit or miss whether a local Leslie's will service it.

Have you contacted Marina about this? Another Aqua Products/Fluidra contact that Margaret is in touch with concerning Evo questions is as follows:

Skye Svenningsen
Director of Product Marketing - APC
Fluidra North America
[email protected]

Perhaps emailing Selina, Skye, and Marina would bring more awareness to the matter. Good luck!

Hi everyone, new pool owner here and already tired of dragging out the hose to vacuum. We get a lot of leaves in the bottom as well as cicadas right now.

The pool is free from, so no square angles, kidney shaped, with pebbletec. We also have an arc shaped tanning ledge and egress ledge in the deep end.

I bought an Aiper Scuba S1, but immediately questioned that choice. After reading this whole thread, I'm questioning even more. I've run the S1, a few times and it does a decent job on the floor. But the walls are a different story. It tries to work it's way around the perimeter, but skips big sections after convex curves.

It sounds like waterline scrubbing on the Evo is just ok, but the randomness gives me belief it will eventually get all the walls, where I don't think the aiper will.

Also, I got the S1 for what I think is a good price at $450, so I'm questioning whether the Evo would be worth nearly double the price. Since I haven't had a corded unit, I don't have much reference for whether I could expect better cleaning. The cordless is pretty nice.

I'd love to hear the thoughts of the community.

Thanks to Jim and everyone else contributing to this thread.

Jeff

About 1 month ago Marina also told me Leslie's would provide warranty service on Evo robots and it was key to my purchase decision. Leslie's sells Evo robots on their website but checking this morning on the Aqua Products website it only shows 1 service center (not Leslie's) in NC. This is very concerning and hopefully Fluidra/Polaris/Aqua Products/Leslie's/Marina gets this sorted out soon. Maybe it's hit or miss whether a local Leslie's will service it.

Have you contacted Marina about this? Another Aqua Products/Fluidra contact that Margaret is in touch with concerning Evo questions is as follows:

Skye Svenningsen
Director of Product Marketing - APC
Fluidra North America
[email protected]

Perhaps emailing Selina, Skye, and Marina would bring more awareness to the matter. Good luck!
Thanks for the info!

I've emailed Marina and am waiting for a response. I'll send an email to the new contacts provided in this thread as well.

Thanks,
Shawn