Monolithically Poured 8 x 12 Spa?

DesuniaFounder

Aug 1, 2022
South Carolina
Hey Guys,

I'm not a pool professional but I do hope some of you might be willing to chime in with some much-needed guidance. I'm building a house in South Carolina and am in shock as to what they want for gunite there. I've contacted a number of companies and the numbers I'm getting for a rectangular 8 x 12 spa range from 60K to 100K. In my view, this is insane. For comparison, 8 years ago I had a very reputable company do an 18 x 36 gunite pool WITH an integrated 8 x 8 spa for me in NY for just under 80K. This even included salt and bluestone coping (the filter was a shared system).

I totally get how trying to do a pool with poured concrete will have issues. Given the larger size of a pool and the fact that it's a heavy lift to pour walls and floor in one, seamless set-up, I'd be the first to agree that that would be a no-go.

But what about a spa? Walls and floor could be easily done at the same time and concrete could be 2 feet thick if need be without adding much in material cost. I'm thinking in terms of letting my foundation company handle the shell and I'd do the plumbing etc. Am I insane for even considering this?

Mike

Your basic shell cost would/should be much more going that route. That would require a complete form being designed and built to accommodate a single pour, internal rebar and all, whereas gunite just needs the ground form and rebar. All material costs have skyrocketed past few years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.