Just overwhelmed

I have been reading about how often I should be testing, and seeing answers all over the place.

Is best advice once a week? Pool companies come one a week or even every other week, but should I be testing more often?

Test PH, CL every few days and Alkalinity, CH, and CYA monthly? If I am basing my CL on CYA should I test CYA more often? (Don’t really have enough testing chemicals for cya that often)

If I do just test a few more often then others, do I just keep the last test results in pool math for the ones I didn’t retest?

Thanks… lots of questions.

I have been reading about how often I should be testing, and seeing answers all over the place.

Is best advice once a week? Pool companies come one a week or even every other week, but should I be testing more often?

Test PH, CL every few days and Alkalinity, CH, and CYA monthly? If I am basing my CL on CYA should I test CYA more often? (Don’t really have enough testing chemicals for cya that often)

If I do just test a few more often then others, do I just keep the last test results in pool math for the ones I didn’t retest?

Thanks… lots of questions.
I would suggest you stop looking all over the internet for answers and just stick with TFP.
As has been mentioned several times in this thread, you can't mix TFP methods with others - the results just don't work.

Until you get to know your pool and what it needs:
  • Test FC and pH daily
  • Test TA and CC weekly
  • Test CYA, Salt and CH every 2 weeks
Test more frequently if you think something just doesn't look or feel right.
After you get to better know your pool and its needs, you can extend some of those testing intervals.
Once you get to better know your pool and its needs, we can have a further discussion on testing frequency.
The whole purpose in frequent testing is to keep better control of your pool.

Just enter and save the test you actually do in PoolMath and click save. Do not change or delete those you don't retest (let them remain).

Your signature needs some work - list pool, all pool equipment (include manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit info.
This assists us in providing you help without the need to ask you each time for this important information.

Reactions: jessab
I would suggest you stop looking all over the internet for answers and just stick with TFP.
As has been mentioned several times in this thread, you can't mix TFP methods with others - the results just don't work.

Until you get to know your pool and what it needs:
  • Test FC and pH daily
  • Test TA and CC weekly
  • Test CYA, Salt and CH every 2 weeks
Test more frequently if you think something just doesn't look or feel right.
After you get to better know your pool and its needs, you can extend some of those testing intervals.
Once you get to better know your pool and its needs, we can have a further discussion on testing frequency.
The whole purpose in frequent testing is to keep better control of your pool.

Just enter and save the test you actually do in PoolMath and click save. Do not change or delete those you don't retest (let them remain).

Your signature needs some work - list pool, all pool equipment (include manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit info.
This assists us in providing you help without the need to ask you each time for this important information.
Thanks. TFP is where I was reading it. From other posts/threads about testing and how often. It was all over the place.

Just found this though: Basic Pool Care Schedule

Also, unless I am missing it in the app, the Pool Math app doesn’t let me just add a new test for PH and FC. If I do, I lose all the other results and they show blank.

Last edited:
Thanks. TFP is where I was reading it. From other posts about testing and how often.

Also, unless I am missing it in the app, the Pool Math app doesn’t let me just add a new test for PH and FC. If I do, I lose all the other results and they show blank.
Once you better know your pool and its needs, some of those other TFP posts on testing may pertain - and some will not.
You're relatively new and need to test more frequently.

Ok, then leave the others blank. The previous logs will still show in the paid version of the app.
I don't have the paid version - so I just edit the single log that shows and save it. But better to leave the non-tested tests blank in the paid app.

Don't forget to update your signature......

Once you better know your pool and its needs, some of those other TFP posts on testing may pertain - and some will not.
You're relatively new and need to test more frequently.

Ok, then leave the others blank. The previous logs will still show in the paid version of the app.
I don't have the paid version - so I just edit the single log that shows and save it. But better to leave the non-tested tests blank in the paid app.

Don't forget to update your signature......
Will do. I will edit my signature tomorrow. Thanks. So in the non paid version, if you tested everything today, entered that, then next week you test FC and PH, do you edit the original results and leave the CH, CYA, AK as it was? Seems like the app would still need those numbers to calculate the CSI and FC levels.

I haven’t tested anything for a few days, but the pool is sparkling. I do empty the bot and look at the water daily. I will test again tomorrow.

Does Pool Math not show the Adjusted Aikalinity number anywhere in the app? I only see the number I entered, 80, and not the adjusted number anywhere. Based on the formula, my number should be lower.
Ignore the adjusted alkalinity. Just record the results of your test. Pool Math takes care of the rest.

Your frequency will become less often as you get comfortable with your pool. At this point, once I get my cya where I want it, I don’t test for that anymore but my season, in Michigan, is only a few months so that may not work in the south. I rely on the Taylor test kit that just does the ph and chlorine. It’s fast and simple. If the ph creeps up or down, I’ll do something. However, this season, I’ve not had to add anything. My ph started out low and has very slowly creeped up but is still under 7.8. As for my chlorine, I have my SWG dialed in pretty well so it stays pretty stable. However, for example, I shut off my SWG today because the chlorine had crept up. We had a cold week and I had the solar cover on. With no usage I figured the chlorine would be up, and it was. So, that’s my rambling way to tell you that you’ll get the hang of it.

then next week you test FC and PH,
Are you using the free or paid version of PoolMath?
Focus only on the version you are actively using.

You need to test FC and pH - DAILY - and enter the results in PoolMath.
Testing them only weekly will lead to algae, high pH, etc.
You "may" be able to get by with two or three times weekly - AFTER - you get to know your pool and its needs better.

Those with short seasons and those who close their pool in winter "may" be able to use different testing frequencies - but you're somewhere in Texas and most probably keep the pool open year-round, even if not swimming.

Are you using the free or paid version of PoolMath?
Focus only on the version you are actively using.

You need to test FC and pH - DAILY - and enter the results in PoolMath.
Testing them only weekly will lead to algae, high pH, etc.
You "may" be able to get by with two or three times weekly - AFTER - you get to know your pool and its needs better.

Those with short seasons and those who close their pool in winter "may" be able to use different testing frequencies - but you're somewhere in Texas and most probably keep the pool open year-round, even if not swimming.

Pool stays open all year for us. I have the free version but am considering getting the paid version.

Figured weekly was good, as I had our pool guy coming weekly then every two weeks. Never had an algae problem so far. I will test myself more often though. Glad I asked.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here’s how I handle chlorine. You’ll still need to take time to get to know your pool, but after that, this is something to consider and it will allow you to test less frequently.

My cya is 60. Minimum at that level is 4. Target range is 4-9. Slam level is 24. I do what is called running hot. Safe swimming level is anything under Slam level. I run my chlorine above 10 and usually around 12. As I said in my previous post, it got a bit high, at 13, the other day so I did shut off the SWG for a day. Point is, I run higher than the target and stay well within the safe level for my cya. That gives me a good amount of cushion so that I don’t find myself anywhere near the minimum level of chlorine needed to keep the pool clean and algae free. For the most part, I just use the Taylor kit that tests the chlorine and ph and all I do for chlorine is make sure the yellow is darker than anything on the comparison block. Then, every now and then it will looks particularly dark yellow and I’ll test it with the DPD to make sure it’s not getting too high.

Remember that we’re dealing with ranges and not specific precise numbers. Maintain a cushion and things get a lot easier.

Reactions: Squatting Hen
Tested everything but CYA this morning. If I test that every few days, I will run out of testing chemicals.

Here are photos of my ph. Both with the TF Pro and Taylor. Looks between 7.8 and 8 to me, but this is where I struggle. It was just 7.6 or so 4 days ago.

Thoughts?

Other results
FC - 11.5 (I have reduced my salt cell down to 15% and this hasn’t gone down much at all) I would prefer it around 8

PH - struggling

TA - 70

CH - 240

CYA - last test 4 days ago - 75

Salt - 3800 (keeps rising for some reason)

Attachments

• IMG_2939.jpeg
    IMG_2939.jpeg
    448.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2940.jpeg
    IMG_2940.jpeg
    485.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2942.jpeg
    IMG_2942.jpeg
    342.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
For the pH test, do NOT hold the comparator block up to the sky. The non-white background will make it more difficult to see the color match.
Use a well lit white background. Some use a computer screen or their phone with a white screen - others use a white paper plate in a well lit kitchen.

Also - try using 4 drops of pH reagent instead of 5 drops.
This makes it easier for some members to determine the color match.

For CYA - any result between the lines on the testing vial get round up to the next larger number.
Any reading between 71 and 79 round up to 80.
Your "75" gets reported as 80 and you adjust your FC according to the FC/CYA Levels chart under the CYA 80 line.

Set up sharing in PoolMath so we can see your logs.
You will need to sign into PoolMath using the same email and password as your forum account.

Don't forget about updating your signature.

Oh, and there is zero reason to be concerned about "adjusted alkalinity" since you are using PoolMath - as any adjustments needed are done automatically by PoolMath.

Last edited:
It updated - but main pump and test kit are missing.
Can’t fit anything else on there. It won’t let me.

4 drops, 5 drops, doesn’t make a difference in color for me.

Holding it up to a white plate gives a different color than a white screen on my phone. Then holding it a few inches away from the plate is a different color then against the plate, due to shadows. I think it’s below 8. Maybe 7.8 or 7.9….or 15, ugh.

Guess I will run to the forbidden pool store and see what they say. At least it will give me some idea that I might be close to what I am seeing.

I will run to the forbidden pool store and see what they say.
It will serve no purpose but to confuse you further. If they're off, you'll question your results. If they're close, you'll question why yours wasn't more off.

Plus, nothing says the sample Ph is the same once you get to the pool store. It rattles 6 bazillion times in the cup holder and temperature plays a role too.

Reactions: proavia

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support