How bad have I screwed up, and how much to fix (estimated)? Pool Ladder Steps Concrete

Jun 2, 2013
So, we have a very old concrete pool that came with the house we bought in 2013. This year, our plan was to do some minor re-plastering and then repaint the interior. We also wanted to replace the media in our sand filter.

Well, part way through the sanding and plastering, we decided to address a broken ladder step in the deep end. This was a mistake, and I apologize for everything you are about to read and see next.

With and angle grinder and a chisel, I got the old ones out and created enough room to fit new ones in, which we bought online. And that's it... that is where I am stuck now. I've realized now that there are not many resources out there that cover this process, because it is probably not a wise thing to do. I have seen a video where a company does this by literally cutting them out while still submerged, so I know that somebody is crazy enough to try this kind of thing (in scuba gear, no less). And my wife linked me a support thread where someone briefly mentioned this kind of thing as an option. But I am in need of more guidance than that, and think I am very unlikely to get it, at this point. But if you do have any tips on how I can get these new steps in and secured and watertight myself, than I am all ears.

But the real reason I am posting this is to know just how bad I have hurt my chances of ever using the pool again. I have tried two different kinds of cement (Hydraulic and a 5000 PSI generic), but bailed out when I got frustrated with the consistency being too difficult to work with. Is this something I can call a local pool builder to help me with? And how difficult of a job would this be for a professional? And how much do you think they might charge me to tackle this job ($500 or $5000)?

Full shot of all three steps cut outClose-up of one stepReplacement step
20220806_142038.jpg20220806_142048.jpg20220806_142057.jpg

Hi Bert, I don’t see your location. Have you reached out to any pool builders to get an estimate? Preferably at least three estimates.

@MinerJason any ideas?

What did you chip out that held in the old steps?

I would pack the cavity with Type S mortar and then imbed the step in the mortar. Just an idea and understand that I never did this.

I'm guessing it was hydraulic cement or some other kind of fine concrete. You can still see it in each of the holes, since I didn't get it all out.

It's a little reassuring to hear you suggest that, even if you have no idea on whether or not it would work. I had considered using a mortar or even some kind of reliable grout (due to the finer aggregate). I think it will stay in the vertical spaces a little better while I am packing it and the excess might squeeze out a little easier while I am pushing the steps in place.

Hydraulic cement expands and may push the step back out.

That is why I leaned towards Type S mortar.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.