Help! Semi-Clueless Texan Here: Are my main line, skimmer, return and suction valve settings okay (during winter storm)?

dkerne

Jul 13, 2016
Spring, TX
The title says it all: I'm very stressed about my inground pool/spa combo (spa is attached), given that it's likely we'll set an all time low temp for the area overnight tomorrow. I'm running both main and aux pumps continuously (have freeze protection enabled), but have a question regarding return and suction valve positioning.

Pool equipment is all Pentair (pool and attached spa, water feature so I have a main and aux pump, and heater that I'm not using right now, as I'm focusing on continuously running both the pool filter and the water feature during freezing conditions)

My understanding is that such settings may need adjustment in very cold weather (which rarely happens in Houston, where I am), and am unsure what to do. I took pics of the current return and suction valve settings, so if something looks wrong, please give me a heads up so I can correct before the severe cold hits Monday/Tuesday. Many thanks.

Attachments

• 20210214_175023.jpg
    20210214_175023.jpg
    677.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210214_175030.jpg
    20210214_175030.jpg
    476.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210214_175034.jpg
    20210214_175034.jpg
    535.8 KB · Views: 19
Welcome to the forum.
Your automation should allow for setting freeze protection on the Pool and Spa modes.

Or, move the suction and return automated valves such that both systems are moving water. Be sure you are sending more water to the spa than is being suctioned from it. Set the automated valves OFF using the toggle switches.

Along with Marty's comments, maybe have a back-up plan should power go out. Consider draining the pump basket and filter of water to prevent expansion damage. Perhaps drop a tarp over teh equipment pad just in case.

Welcome, and stay safe. :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.