San Diego, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-30
Pool is about 2+ years old. Never had an issue but when I turned the spa on yesterday the entire spa drained into the pool.

The only change I made in recent weeks was adjusting valve C manually, I usually turn this all the way down when kids are in the pool so the suction from the vacuum is off. I noticed the the vacume was not cleaning very well so I turned this up slightly. This usally results in higher suction at the vacuum and the spill over feature of the spa into the pool is not as strong.

That is the only change I have made recently and I have adjusted the C valve manually in the past without any issues.

I filled the spa back up by running the pool but as soon as I turned the spa back on I noticed the waterline in the spa starting to recede.

Any suggestions? I checked the skimmer, no issues that looked out of the ordinary.

Pool Valves Spa Question.png

Alex,

It sounds like your Intake valve (the one in front of the pump) is sucking water from the spa when in the pool mode..

Either the Intake actuator is bad or the little toggle switch is in the wrong position..

Watch the Intake valve when you select the pool mode, and then the spa mode, and see if the valve is moving like it should.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Alex,

It sounds like your Intake valve (the one in front of the pump) is sucking water from the spa when in the pool mode..

Either the Intake actuator is bad or the little toggle switch is in the wrong position..

Watch the Intake valve when you select the pool mode, and then the spa mode, and see if the valve is moving like it should.

Thanks,

Jim R.

The intake valve being the Jandy Valve, C that I listed?

When I switch from pool to spa you can see the jandy valve slowing rotating into position like I have seen in the past.

Alex,

You list valve B as Pool and Spa..

You need to look at valve B.. When in the Pool mode, the "off" tab needs to point to the pipe going to the spa drain. When in the Spa mode, the "off" tab needs to point to the pipe going to the Pool skimmer/main drain.

The only way water can get sucked out of the spa, is for the Intake valve to be in the wrong position, or for the valve itself to be bad.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Alex,

You list valve B as Pool and Spa..

You need to look at valve B.. When in the Pool mode, the "off" tab needs to point to the pipe going to the spa drain. When in the Spa mode, the "off" tab needs to point to the pipe going to the Pool skimmer/main drain.

The only way water can get sucked out of the spa, is for the Intake valve to be in the wrong position, or for the valve itself to be bad.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Got it, can the jandy valve ever get switched up or does resetting all the breakers have any any affect on resetting anything?

Alex,

I doubt that resetting the breakers will do anything, but it can't hurt.

Step one would be to see where the valve is in the Pool mode and then in the Spa mode.

Let us know what you find.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Alex,

I doubt that resetting the breakers will do anything, but it can't hurt.

Step one would be to see where the valve is in the Pool mode and then in the Spa mode.

Let us know what you find.

Thanks,

Jim R.

This is Spa Mode - I could see the waer line slowly lowering.
1716234470309.png

And this is pool mode
1716234487479.png

Alex,

Your Intake valve is moving like it should..

The problem is not that the spa is draining, it is that there is no water coming into the spa...

This is because the Return valve (Right after your SWCG) is not moving.. It is in the same position in the Pool mode and in the Spa mode. It should move 180 degrees, just like your Intake valve.

Check the little toggle switch on the actuator and make sure it is not in the middle position.. On-Off-On.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Alex,

Your Intake valve is moving like it should..

The problem is not that the spa is draining, it is that there is no water coming into the spa...

This is because the Return valve (Right after your SWCG) is not moving.. It is in the same position in the Pool mode and in the Spa mode. It should move 180 degrees, just like your Intake valve.

Check the little toggle switch on the actuator and make sure it is not in the middle position.. On-Off-On.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Sorry for the question but can you tell me what valve is the return valve?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Alex,

The valve at very top of the pile.. Right after your IC40 salt cell.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you very much for your help Jim, the toggle was in the off position. I bet I hit it when I cleaned the salt cell last week. I had no idea that switch was even there. Thank you again! This forum is alway sso helpful!

1716248178515.png

Reactions: Jimrahbe