Gunite spa plaster won’t clean up

Jordinary4

Jun 30, 2022
Rochester, Michigan
Hi all,

I’m on my 3rd season of ownership, and after opening my in ground pool and spa, the spa plaster will not get clean. In prior seasons I did not have this issue. I’m looking for any recommendations of what to try. I have already tried:

- SLAM for 1 week, CYA @ 40, FC @ 16, pH @ 7.5, brushing at least daily
- Rubbing vitamin C tabs
- Setting a chlorine puck on the stain

All of these have had no effect whatsoever. My FC does appear to be dropping quickly overnight. The water itself looks nice and clear, it’s just the brown-ish stains that appear to be the problem. Any advice?

Attachments

• IMG_5773.jpeg
    IMG_5773.jpeg
    358.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5772.jpeg
    IMG_5772.jpeg
    313.5 KB · Views: 10
Any use of copper algaecide or items with "blue" in the name? Looks like it might be metal staining...

When you opened your pool what was your initial water chemistry before you added any chemicals?

Any use of copper algaecide or items with "blue" in the name? Looks like it might be metal staining...

No use of algaecides by me, I doubt the conpany opening the pool did either.

What is your CH? This is just a guess but it looks like calcium scale with imbedded dirt.

Solution would be to lower water level to expose it and clean with a wire brush or muriatic
CH was 250 last I measured. Draining and scrubbing was my next option, but i didn’t think CH+dirt would explain the rapid FC loss. The FC loss has stabilized somewhat by now though

High high your pH was and how much MA it took to get pH into the 7's is key to understanding if this may be a scale problem.

without data all you can do is guess and try the fixes suggested above.

High high your pH was and how much MA it took to get pH into the 7's is key to understanding if this may be a scale problem.

without data all you can do is guess and try the fixes suggested above.
pH has been 7.5 continuously with nothing added. The only things added are liquid chlorine and stabilizer. I’ll probably try to drain and scrub as mentioned. Thanks all.