fire fighting

Apr 13, 2016
France
hello, putting together a new pool build and pump house and want to plumb in an emergency fire fighting outlet using pool pumps and water from pool.
Have two pumps, main 1.5 hp pool pump and booster pump for polaris.
Pool pump has volume, while booster gives greater pressure on lower volume.
Any firechiefs or others out there with suggestions as to which pump is best suited.
Any comments much appreciated.
(not thinking of replacing the local fire brigade, just getting a head start if by any chance a wildfire comes our way)

thanks Patrick

hello, putting together a new pool build and pump house and want to plumb in an emergency fire fighting outlet using pool pumps and water from pool.
Have two pumps, main 1.5 hp pool pump and booster pump for polaris.
Pool pump has volume, while booster gives greater pressure on lower volume.
Any firechiefs or others out there with suggestions as to which pump is best suited.
Any comments much appreciated.
(not thinking of replacing the local fire brigade, just getting a head start if by any chance a wildfire comes our way)

thanks Patrick
Once the water level in the pool drops below the skimmer, which would happen very quickly using an open line like a fire hose, the pump will stop moving water and start sucking air.
You would be better off relying on something like this, a good idea if you are in an area that could be subject to wild/forest fire:

Reactions: newdude
Yah, you want a dedicated pump and power source, instead of relying on either existing pump, neither of which is designed to do what you want, each relying on a power source that might not be available when you need it.

While you're at it, if you come up with a way to drink pool water, add that to your emergency preparedness systems and then tell me how to do it!

We spend a crazy amount of effort and money to maintain a crazy amount of water in our backyards. We aught to be able to use it for more than swimming when we need to.

Yah, you want a dedicated pump and power source, instead of relying on either existing pump, neither of which is designed to do what you want, each relying on a power source that might not be available when you need it.

While you're at it, if you come up with a way to drink pool water, add that to your emergency preparedness systems and then tell me how to do it!

We spend a crazy amount of effort and money to maintain a crazy amount of water in our backyards. We aught to be able to use it for more than swimming when we need to.
I bought a Zero Water pitcher. Saw an in-store demo years ago and was impressed, but only bought it last year. Claims to remove everything and comes with a TDS meter (and I have my own). Thought, will it works with my pool water? Answer- It did. Both meters read 0 TDS after going through the filter. They are slow, gravity fed filters but seem to work well.

I bought a Zero Water pitcher. Saw an in-store demo years ago and was impressed, but only bought it last year. Claims to remove everything and comes with a TDS meter (and I have my own). Thought, will it works with my pool water? Answer- It did. Both meters read 0 TDS after going through the filter. They are slow, gravity fed filters but seem to work well.
Thanks! I'll check that out.